Who says the GH1 is not ready for prime time?

dvbrother

OK, sorry for the provocative title. I'm just so thrilled with what the GH1 has given me for my latest short film. Here's a teaser trailer for it:

http://www.vimeo.com/7449911

Even though I've had to deal with color shifting, artifacts in shadows, rolling shutter, fluorescent flicker...they don't bother me compared to the other aspects of image quality the camera delivers. I couldn't be happier with how this short film has turned out. The GH1 was the best money I ever spent!

OK, sorry for the provocative title. I'm just so thrilled with what the GH1 has given me for my latest short film. Here's a teaser trailer for it:

Even though I've had to deal with color shifting, artifacts in shadows, rolling shutter, fluorescent flicker...they don't bother me compared to the other aspects of image quality the camera delivers. I couldn't be happier with how this short film has turned out. The GH1 was the best money I ever spent!

You got some really nice shots in that trailer - very impressive and sharp. Man, I can't wait til my project begins in January - GH1 all the way w/Canon & Zeiss primes.

There's something wonderful about the "look" that the GH1 delivers with good quality prime lenses when you know what you are doing.

I feel like there's nowhere you could show a project like this and in any way feel like you'd have to explain away the image quality...the GH1 really gets out of your way and lets your talent speak for itself, if you've got it.

The GH1 has given us a very low cost way to move beyond the point that an audience would *notice* the image quality as being something short of what a larger budget production would have, which is a tremendous thing when doing narrative work - it lets the production be much more transparent, critical for narrative work...and a game-changer for low-budget indie film making.

Your film says loud and clear it is ready for prime time. Great work. Just added to my channel!

Thanks all.
Thisisapocalypse: I couldn't have said it better myself. It certainly makes me walk taller to see what I'm capable of given tools that approach movie theater quality images. It's an exciting time to be a filmmaker, at least as far as the affordability of the tools.

Really very nice looking stuff and a great job on the trailer. You have every reason to be pleased.

Todd, congratulations, that looks fantastic.

I noticed the rolling shutter just once and I bet only HD-DSLR users/geeks might notice that shot, 99% of ordinary viewers will never notice it.

Holy crap! Awesome! This will certainly put lid on all pixelw*nkers that claim GH1 isn't good enough.

To answer the question: I can't say GH1 is not ready for prime time as I currently got two commercials airing with GH1 footage - one fully made with GH1, one with a clip cut between 35 mm footage.

Forgot to say you should add this one to the HDSLR Screening Room here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=191

And if you just paste the Vimeo video number, highlight it and in Advance posting mode click the Vimeo icon you have it embedded right in the post!

Last edited:
Fantastic! You see, 1080p on the GH1 rocks! That is the way to go. It looks great.

There's something wonderful about the "look" that the GH1 delivers with good quality prime lenses when you know what you are doing.

Of course, it has the Panasonic "mojo"!

You make the GH1 look good. I assume you went through the lengthy pulldown for this piece. What other camera did you record to for audio (no other option than to lug another camera out there)?

The ONE spot in the trailer where she speaks seems a little out of place. May want to massage the audio a wee more. But i loved it. Kinda long and some shots seemed a little pointless for the trailer, but I still liked it a lot.

Last edited:
Joshua,

We tried a Zoom4n digital recorder but it had issues, so I had to use my JVC HD250 camera as a backup.
Fair criticism of the trailer I suppose. I'm not sure which part you're talking about in regard to the spot where "she speaks". There are 4 different spots of dialog, so I don't know which one you're referring to. It probably could have been shorter, too, you're right.
All I can say about the audio quality is that I was in a hurry and it was late at night when I edited this. The actual movie will have MUCH more time spent on the mix. Thanks for watching!

You should be proud from it,its the best GH-1 footage ,no competition really.
Looks amazing.Every gh-1 owner have to see this.

Last edited:
Joshua,

We tried a Zoom4n digital recorder but it had issues, so I had to use my JVC HD250 camera as a backup.
Fair criticism of the trailer I suppose. I'm not sure which part you're talking about in regard to the spot where "she speaks". There are 4 different spots of dialog, so I don't know which one you're referring to. It probably could have been shorter, too, you're right.
All I can say about the audio quality is that I was in a hurry and it was late at night when I edited this. The actual movie will have MUCH more time spent on the mix. Thanks for watching!

Fair enough, momentary lapse of judgement. The audio was in fact in more than one spot. I guess its just the one that stood out to me. (1.30s) But after watching again, it seems to fit the overall sound quality, maybe it just stuck out because of the background noise and we hadn't heard any dialogue in a while. MAYBE if we had a "establishing" shot of the characters for pacing just before she speaks it might make it nicer. I imagine them both kinda staring at... whatever it is for a second or two, then "Ok... so where do we start". Sortof a break in the pace, maybe even a pause in the music for effect.

Also, what sort of issues did you have with the Zoom4n?

Last edited:

Wow! Top notch work.... Congratulations, you tagged it. It reminds of Showtime's Series "The L Word" in it's own way....

The GH1 like 35mm film or any quality system; when in the right talented hands, it will deliver what you need....

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
http://www.PappasArts.com

Back