True NJ: Doc Trailer (GH1 + H4n)

Abstract Photog

True NJ: Breaking the Stereotype (Doc Trailer)

This is a pre-production trailer to a documentary I have recently begun.

True NJ: Breaking the Stereotype is aimed at revealing a New Jersey that most people
are completely unaware of. Even many of its own residents are totally oblivious to the
NJ outside of the media, outside of Jersey City, and outside the stereotypes that they've
been overwhelmed with.

Also a test of the H4n, which the audio was recorded on with the onboard mics.
This was my first time working with it, and Im impressed. Narrative was done by myself,
and recorded at 48/24 with a dead cat windscreen. Then cleaned up in Soundtrack Pro.

Camera Settings:
Lumix GH1 full manual
Stock 14-140 Lens
Canon FD 50mm 1.8
Canon FD 28mm 2.8
Narrative sections shot in 1080p on 50mm 1.8
All other b-roll shot at 720p
.6 ND filter, Polarizer, etc...

Edited in FCP on a 720p timeline at 23.98 fps.
All slow-mo shot at 720/60p with a 1/160 shutter, conformed to 23.98 fps
in Final Cut's Cinema Tools. Pull down removed with JES Deinterlacer.

Notes:

This was my first time shooting through the Canon FD with an ND & PL filter.
As a result my white balance was off on my narrative sections, and i had to do
some pretty heavy grading to get it where it should have been. There is some
chroma fall-out, mainly in the first section, but its not bad for what it is.

H4n on board mics are awesome. maybe too sensitive to ambient noise, but will
be enough in themselves for the majority of the work ill be doing. Dead cat wind
screen is a MUST if your going to record outdoors. The supplied foam windscreen
barely helps against wind and softens the audio too much.

Also my first time doing any narrative/voice work in a while. A few small mistakes
here and there, but I think it came out pretty good.

I like the fact that you beat me on using firmware's 1.1 1/2th shutter capability on waterfalls

a) Looks Great!
b) Awesome idea. As a former new jerseyan I fully agree with all that you said. I now live in NY but still work in Bergen county.
c) If you need any type of help with your project, pm me.

"No Guidos"?

LOL!

Regardless, interesting.
Although I think I would have avoided the talking head portions and simply did voiceover. Mind you, that's just my opinion.

BTW, you have a decent voice for narration.

sincerely,

ian

thanks for the comments!

I like the fact that you beat me on using firmware's 1.1 1/2th shutter capability on waterfalls
yea it works great. i shot some cliff jumping scenes with it too.
came out nice, and i just didnt have room for it in the trailer

a) Looks Great!
b) Awesome idea. As a former new jerseyan I fully agree with all that you said. I now live in NY but still work in Bergen county.
c) If you need any type of help with your project, pm me.
awesome. ill keep you in mind. thanks

"No Guidos"?

LOL!

Regardless, interesting.
Although I think I would have avoided the talking head portions and simply did voiceover. Mind you, that's just my opinion.

BTW, you have a decent voice for narration.

sincerely,

ian
no guidos around here at least.
parts of the jersey shore are a different story.

generally speaking the talking head thing isnt my style. iv never used it before,
and it certainly won't be used in the actual documentary. i mainly used it as a
means to test the H4n outside, and shoot wide open on the 50 1.8 with my
newly arrived step down ring for the ND and PL filters.

Seemed a bit like a travel add.. but not in a bad way.. maybe even push that angle a wee bit more. You do have a great voice for this kind of stuff for sure.... I don't know if like the look of the interviews, but some of the shots with the same look..were stunning. The one with the fir trees was awesome.

Nice work overall just kind of a bit different than a traditional doc trailer, but not a bad thing. More of a michael more type approach... cool.

Some great shots and I agree that you have a good voice for narration. The Zoom sounded pretty good with just the onboard mics. It's funny how we've become used to the idea that if someone is talking to the camera they're obviously try to sell us something! Nice work

I live right next to you. Was this stuff filmed in Vernon at all? Some of those farmlands look familiar. Did you dip into Passaic County and Wawayanda by any chance?

Honestly, I've lived in a few different parts of NJ, but for most of my life I've lived in the woodsy part, so I already know this stuff. Unfortunately, most people who LIVE HERE in these parts take it for granted too!

Anyway, how long is this? It might turn into a "Come to New Jersey" Ad. I think most people would figure NJ isn't one giant garbagefest, unless they're really dumb. Footage looked real good though, I just hope you take a different approach than the talking at the camera thing and really explore nature with it.

Nice stuff. I grew up in a rural area of NJ so I think it's awesome that your going to be showcasing the more 'garden' side of The Garden State.
(I actually broke down in Sussex about two weeks ago).

thanks again for the comments.
keep in mind, this is only a pre-production trailer. meaning im still in the
planning stages of my documentary, and will be for a while. this was put
together to help motivate me and test out some new hardware.

I live right next to you. Was this stuff filmed in Vernon at all? Some of those farmlands look familiar. Did you dip into Passaic County and Wawayanda by any chance?

Honestly, I've lived in a few different parts of NJ, but for most of my life I've lived in the woodsy part, so I already know this stuff. Unfortunately, most people who LIVE HERE in these parts take it for granted too!

Anyway, how long is this? It might turn into a "Come to New Jersey" Ad. I think most people would figure NJ isn't one giant garbagefest, unless they're really dumb. Footage looked real good though, I just hope you take a different approach than the talking at the camera thing and really explore nature with it.

where exactly in sussex are you?
this was filmed in Hampton Twsp. (Clearview Lake). no shots from Vernon,
Passaic County or Wawayanda (although I used to do some life guarding there)
in the trailer, but ill be shooting all over for the actual doc.

not totally sure how long the finished product will be...could be 30min
could be an hour. i have a lot more pre-production to do before ill know
for sure.

and id never use the talking head thing in the actual doc. again, that was
only to see how shooting through 2 filters, wide open in bright sunlight with
f1.8 would turn out.

Nice stuff. I grew up in a rural area of NJ so I think it's awesome that your going to be showcasing the more 'garden' side of The Garden State.
(I actually broke down in Sussex about two weeks ago).

where at?

Back