anyone shoot video with the canon rp?

robfilms

i'm looking for some real world experiences with the canon eos rp.

i know the camera's specs and it's various limitations, especially in video: no 24p in 1080, no dpaf in 4k, no 10bit out.

but has anyone actually used the camera?

i am slightly attracted to the form factor because many of my talking head interviews are not professional folks so the small form factor is a help.

if there are no rp users, i'll listen up to those who have used the canon eos r.

thanks in advance to those who care to share.

thumbs up.

rob
smalltalk productions/nyc

It's a small camera but it wouldn't look that much smaller than others with a big lens.

Didn't you have the SL2 or something? There wouldn't be much difference.

If you would like 4K DPAF (no 24p) and one of the smallest Canon's available (with smaller lenses), it would be the new M6 Mark II:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1502491-REG/canon_3611c001_eos_m6_mark_ii.html

nb-

you do have a good memory!

on these type of VERY low profile in interviews, i have used the SL2 with great results.

the 1080 dpaf image looks wonderful.

i often use the canon ef-s 24mm (38mm fov).

someone would be hard pressed to see a difference with an image from a c100.

but there is even 4k creep in my kind of non/not-for-profit clients.

i had the original eos-m a while ago.

the idea of investing in another eos-m series camera is doubtful.

i can see canon abandoning the m-mount.

i'd rather go full frame and use ef-s lens to deal with the 4k crop.

the just released 90d ticks off several boxes but i was wondering about the rf mount being canon's next standard.

dpaf is in the 90d!

and then there is the talk about and eos-r pro.

thanks for your thoughts.

i wonder if anyone else on the forum has even considered using the eos r or the rp?

thumbs up.

rob

I owned the EOS R and I liked it, but moved on as I usually do.

I think jcs owns it and posts about it (including footage).

Best place to learn about it (all cameras) is YouTube because of the quantity of information (not always quality).

___

Regarding the RP, google EF-S lenses and HD shooting...I think they won't work together.

This NS article mentions it: https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/02/14/canon-announces-the-1299-eos-rp-six-new-rf-lenses/

nb-

i have been watching jcs' postings.

thanks for the suggestion.

the ef-s does work in 4k which takes the full frame info into an almost cropped sensor fov.

i do know you LOVE to "sample" various cameras.

why did you pass on the eos-r?

rob

If you need great AF, usable IBIS (Canon's is digital but works better than Sony's), already have Canon lenses, and like Canon Log and Canon colors, the EOS R works great. Haven't tried it yet, however the EOS R with the 10-18 EF-S STM makes a fairly small package sufficiently wide in 4K (I use the 16-35 F2.8 II with the adapter- it's not wide enough in 4K for some shots. The 10-18 is on sale for $199- just ordered one*). The RF 24-105 F4L is a big lens, though is very sharp, has helpful IS, and excellent color.

If you need max detail in 4K, the A7 III is great, as would/will be the X-T3 (when/if they fix AF). Based on previous Sony experience (A7S I, II), I'd lean toward the Sony (as the lenses will work when the mythical A7S III is released).

* EDIT: might test this against the Canon 10-18: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X912HYF/ref=psdc_173565_t3_B002D2VS9U (anyone used it for video?).

EOS R + 4K + 10-18 IS STM = sharp video (can turn down in camera for a more natural look):

Enabling the digital IS will also soften the image (would be OK in the above video) and from my tests appears to reduce rolling shutter too. Digital IS + lens IS = pretty good hand held footage for the EOS R.

Last edited:
EOS RP has been marked down to $1,000 at retailers nationwide.

dld-

thanks for the heads up.

here is the b&h link:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1481000-REG/canon_eos_rp_mirrorless_digital.html

i played with the rp and r at last week's photo show.

i very much like how both felt.

the rp was not too small.

and with the upcoming firmware, the idea of 24p makes it more appealing.

IF ONLY THERE WAS DPAF IN 4K!

the r also felt good.

the menus are simple.

is the video soft? too soft?

i didn't even mind the slider instead of a joy stick.

i wonder if the r will also be coming down in price?

rob

The R is soft compared to the 6K => 4K cameras (Sony, Panasonic, Fuji), however it has the best video AF (latest FW), skin tones, and lens choices. Some of the other cameras have 10-bit and greater DR, though if you shoot for mostly in-camera looks it works fine (same would apply to RP).

If you turn off in-camera sharpening, add high frequency film-grain/noise (4K), then post sharpen, even the 1080p looks decent for close ups and mids. For wides that need detail you'll want to use 4K (the 10-18 IS works well (I picked up on sale for $199, as does the 16-35 F2.8).

For the future, most of the new RF lenses have IS, and work well with the digital IS in-camera (softens the image more, but still usable for online delivery). In my tests, the RF 24-105 F4L IS + digital IS does very well handheld.

I recently picked up the EF 35 IS F2 so I could also use it with the 1DX II (vs. the RF version). Testing on the EOS R, it was too loud for even the excellent CMIT5U to mask AF noise and was going to exchange it for the RF 35 F1.8 IS (which is much quieter). However after testing on the 1DX II, it looks really, really good (1DX II has a very unique filmic look and the 4K60 and 1080 120 are excellent). Using a wired lav for vlog style shooting eliminated the AF noise issue.

For certain things, other cameras do a better job. For overall ease of use and reliability, the EOS R hits a sweet spot (that's what Canon tends to do over time).

FWIW, EOS R is marked down to $1,800.

Canon ain't doing too well in 2019. I posted on the main news thread that its operating and net profits are down about 50% (which makes sense that most of their models are heavily discounted).

Back