2 Frame disparity between Audio and Video tracks on the 5D Mark II

yoclay

I am a moderator on another forum and we have noticed a fairly consistent experience with many of our members recently. There appears to be a 2 Frame disparity between Audio and Video tracks on the 5D Mark II.

This appears to have nothing to do with frame rate or the old audio issues between 23.967 and 24p, etc. It is equally consistent between PAL and NTSC.

As more member are using a slate than before, we are clearly noticing this offset and it even more apparent when using Pluraleyes to sync externally recorded audio.

Occasionally it is only a single frame disparity as opposed to two.

Of course we can use the slip tool in our NLE's, but this is clearly a bug that Canon has not addressed.

Anyone else here can confirm this experience or suggest why this is happening?

Two days and not a single person replied to this very prevalent problem. Amazing. Tells me that not much dialog stuff is going on here. Anyone slating their takes would notice this on a regular basis, even if they used external audio synced by Pluraleyes....

I did a 2 camera job (5D and 7D) very recently and the editor tells me audio was always 2 frames behind video. I've been wanting to do a test with and without the camera sending to a monitor to see if that has any effect, but haven't yet.

I think most people are doing double system sound, so it's probably not a problem for most.

I did a 2 camera job (5D and 7D) very recently and the editor tells me audio was always 2 frames behind video. I've been wanting to do a test with and without the camera sending to a monitor to see if that has any effect, but haven't yet.

I think most people are doing double system sound, so it's probably not a problem for most.

I actually noticed this first doing double system sound, because the Pluraleyes application was not syncing up correctly and then suddenly I realized it was actually the camera's audio (the witness track) which was the source of the problem.

Back