On a $500k to $700k budget - film or HD?

Not true. We're in a flooded market now. When 28 Days Later came out (2002) everything was SD anyway and HD was still to be desired by consumers and prosumers. In 2004/5 we got a slew of HDV/HD cameras. Now a kid with an HV20 and the right set up with the right amount of grey matter can make a great action film. I've seen some stuff on here done by young college guys just for fun that trumps my first film in "slickness" (camera movement and angles and looks).

I don't know how you think that is even possibly true. Yes - anyone can pick up a consumer camera and shoot. But you completely took your argument and flipped it on itself. It's easier for someone to get an HDV camera now and make HDV footage than it is to go SD in many ways. Everyone wants HDV on the consumer level.

But in the same stroke Hollywood is also using these consumer cameras. Look at crank 2.

So under your argument, an action film shot on a DVX won't go anywhere but the same film shot on the HVX will? Format doesn't matter. Maybe for final print - yes. In which case film can be seen worldwide. Whereas digital exhibition is only really in it's very infant states.

Just because a film was shot HD doesn't inherently make it better. I've seen footage from a RED. 4K (well - under 4K, but whatever) that looks like crap. I've seen stuff on 16mm look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look amazing. And XL2 footage look amazing. Cameras really mean nothing. Aside from the level of control.

Look at the new HD channels. Makeup and set design crew nightmare. They need to work harder than ever to pull off sets and costuming. Just because it is HD doesn't make it look any better.

Acquisition format will not matter. The only differential is film verses digital. SD verses HD doesn't make any difference in exhibition. Unless of course you are talking about a transfer for film.

I don't know how you think that is even possibly true. Yes - anyone can pick up a consumer camera and shoot. But you completely took your argument and flipped it on itself. It's easier for someone to get an HDV camera now and make HDV footage than it is to go SD in many ways. Everyone wants HDV on the consumer level.

But in the same stroke Hollywood is also using these consumer cameras. Look at crank 2.

Actually Crank 2 or (Cr2nk as they like to call it :huh:) was the reason I wanted to go with the Canon XH-A1.

So under your argument, an action film shot on a DVX won't go anywhere but the same film shot on the HVX will?

Not my argument at all. My argument is that it has better chances. Basically shooting HD/HDV will open more doors. People aren't looking for reasons to buy, they're looking for reasons not to. There's plenty of material out there shot on HDV so buying the same material on DV might make some people decide against it.

Format doesn't matter. Maybe for final print - yes. In which case film can be seen worldwide. Whereas digital exhibition is only really in it's very infant states.

Overall this is easy to say but indeed I was turned down because my film was not shot on HD. This guy was a go between. He knew it wasn't shot on film and didn't even bother to ask. BUT after seeing it he wanted to know one simple question: Was it shot in HD. His argument was simple, not artist nor anything subjective. It was basic and pure. A lot of people are doing action and too many are doing horror. My movie was good, he liked the action. We had a good story, martial arts, gunfights and hot chicks (basically saleable product) BUT at the end of the day it comes down to his buyers (not specifically anyone else's) were looking for HD product. End of story

Now I know the action market - I am the action market. I'm making films I would buy. It can't get any easier as to making product that sales when you know what you yourself look for. My point is, next time out this won't happen again. We can't cover every base but this indeed is a simple one to cover.

Just because a film was shot HD doesn't inherently make it better. I've seen footage from a RED. 4K (well - under 4K, but whatever) that looks like crap. I've seen stuff on 16mm look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look like crap. I've seen DVX footage look amazing. And XL2 footage look amazing. Cameras really mean nothing. Aside from the level of control.

You are certainly right but it's not about any of that, it's simply about what the buyer wants. It's not even about what sales. How many films do you see flop because someone "thought" it could sale so they bought it. My stuff is by the numbers. I know that. And there's a reason "by the numbers" works. But everything has to be considered now. The third distributor didn't take it because they want names, period. (Or a good Latino comedy, take your pick).

I could've had a name but for personal reasons I won't go into I didn't want to deal with them. (And it had nothing to do with the talent themselves by the way). But as you say, there was NO question as to how it was shot. And I know for a fact that company pays.

Distributors who pay, ask for things up front. They want names upfront and they'll give you cash. Back alley distributors will hit you with the standard deal that equates to "Yes, we'll screw you." My film wasn't perfect by any means, but I know the score. They'll take it, package it for the "urban" community and sale a bunch of them. Now if you're lucky and make something that hits (maybe do a million in sales) they'll be calling you to work for them. Simple as that. I know the people who went through it and they told me the score and how they operate.

Look at the new HD channels. Makeup and set design crew nightmare. They need to work harder than ever to pull off sets and costuming. Just because it is HD doesn't make it look any better.

Not at all but it opens more doors. Since you bring up HD channels can you sale SD material to HD channels? No. So there's a possible door shut right there.

Acquisition format will not matter. The only differential is film verses digital. SD verses HD doesn't make any difference in exhibition. Unless of course you are talking about a transfer for film.

Not in exhibition but you have to go through a lot before you get to exhibition unless you're doing it yourself.

-Nate

Last edited:
Back