C300: Stupid Question Part 2: Why no 12bit 1080 on C300mk3 ??

Lkorver

My question about 12-bit 4K XF-AVC was answered a few days ago. But also wondering why the c300mk2 shoots 12bit 1920x1080 but not the c300mk3? It was a favorite codec of many c300mk2 users on this forum.

Last edited:
Either because the new sensor can't do it or because 2K isn't very marketable anymore and it wasn't a priority for them and it never made it onto the checklist(s) for the production/engineers.

Some are probably thinking that it's such an easy feature to add if it's doable that it's a shame it wasn't - and that's true - but once those boardroom meetings are complete and Canon makes a camera how they see fit, you'll rarely ever see any major change in the hardware.

Are these things harder to add than we think? I mean - look at how Sony won't add the option to NOT have NR/sharpening on fx3/a7siii even though they acknowledge the request. Is it more difficult than I think it is? Or is it an intentional cripple

I don't know, but BM and RED used to add cool stuff all the time.

One morning you woke up and your URSA Mini now did 444XQ, or was bumped another 20-30 frames for high-speed, or had random new menu controls, etc.

Since it does CRL, one may consider a 12-bit H264 to be a redundancy.

Thats a good point. I'm no pixel peeper, but the mk2 did 4:4:4 12-bit, while for the mk3, they list CRL 2k as 4:2:2. Is this a big drop, I guess not.

There must be no more original s35 Alexa's left on pro sets.

PS.

Thats a good point. I'm no pixel peeper, but the mk2 did 4:4:4 12-bit, while for the mk3, they list CRL 2k as 4:2:2. Is this a big drop, I guess not.

The other part is that Canon wants its shooters to learn CRL and keep using CRL whenever possible.

One morning you woke up and your URSA Mini now did 444XQ, or was bumped another 20-30 frames for high-speed, or had random new menu controls, etc.

It seems like Kinefinity (and maybe Z-Cam) do this pretty often. I have a friend who owns cameras from both and every so often he learns of whole new framerates, resolutions, and codec options being added.

Definitely. Kinefinity has been around for much longer than people probably think (started in Astronomy cameras) and they always had various cool FW updates as well, but they just weren't talked about much because rarely did you see anyone outside of China purchase their cameras (it's more common today). Z-Cam has been around for a bit too, but their cinema models are fairly new, and they have a strong community that voices their features/fixes requests and receives many of them.

Back