Writers Block

Zordon Film said:
Stop your writing, hold an auditon, pick out a small easy scene that you've already written, and have your actors run the scene. You, as the writer/director, pick up your camera and shoot the scene like you were in production. Ex. shoot your master, then your singles etc, cut the scene together. It'll either motivate you to keep going or you'll soon find out that the scene (or worse) the movie you've writtern is not working. This technique helps me determine if what I'm trying to create is working or not.
zarod, this is a little off topic, but in my last film i shot i used multiple cameras, is there a method or structure for shooting a film with only one camera? (i think you began above, "master, single, ect..."
 
There is no rule on single or multiple camera use. Whatever you're comfortable with. I personally like to shoot single camera. I could never do mulitple camera. Main reason is I only have or could get access to one camera. Some people prefer mulitple. When I was camera assisting on a t.v. show, we only used one camera for every single set up, (except when stunts was invloved then 2nd unit would join us) I guess it stuck with me. For me, using multiple cameras would be too overwhelming, and since I operate as well as direct, it only makes sense to use one camera. To answer your question on method and structure, the best and easy way I could put it is start on your master, run the whole scene from beggining to end, then do a single on each actor, again run the scene from beginning to end. Then cut the scene as you like in post.
 
Personally I would go with Isaac Brody stated. And if you dont already have a script plan or solid outline I would stop writing the script and do that. Then all you have to do is complete the path ways to each location.. difficult to navigate when your destination is not clear.
 
Sometimes you have to put it down and forget it for a period of time and write something else. Then you can come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.
 
What I was taught in film school is before you even think about starting a script, you should first write a treatment. A treatment can be plot point or story point centered. I like the story point treament. It is as if you are telling a story from start to finish without dialog:

"Jack woke up and found a pool of blood in his bed where his wife was supposed to be. In panic he jumped up to find a knife beside him, he picked it up and looked at it at that time the police busted the door down and entered his house to see him holding the blood drenched knife..."

Using this technique you will be able to move the story along through the plot points knowing where you should go before you start the dialog. Story point treaments are written in paragrpah form so format is not an issue.
 
cunyx said:
Sometimes you have to put it down and forget it for a period of time and write something else. Then you can come back to it with a fresh pair of eyes.

I wouldn't do this. Not without finishing a rough draft. I have a pile of unfinished work that I decided fresh eyes would help. I think fresh eyes are only useful after you've finished a rough draft. Keep on writing. Even if you think it's crap don't stop until you have a finished draft, even if it sucks. I find that it's very difficult to get that excitement back after coming back to an unfinished work. You may find that you've moved on and not feel any connection to finish it. I find it much harder to ignore a piece of work that is complete, even if it's rough.
 
I was just there myself.

I'll parrot McKee here... time to do more research.

Research a real-life example (or near proximity) of one or more of characters you are developing. You'll identify telling details and reams of material you didn't know of before --- and wouldn't have become aware of in any other way.
 
I am the last one to give advice in this area. Every script I have ever written has had a time consuming block. I have one now. In the past I have called friends (ones that remind me of the characters), called old military buddies, broke out photo albums and I even sat in front of a bar for hours watching the drunks stagger out - until the police made me leave. Ironically the police scene was all I needed to get going again. Think outside of the box, go to the beach in freezing weather, sit on a park bench, go to church and interview cops.

Carry 3x5 cards around with you and write down anything that comes to mind. Put it in an outline form and go for it.

Now that I think of it - this post helped me. I hope it helps you.
 
If it has already not been said, just move onto the next scene(s) and write that. Come back to your troubled area at a later date.

EJ
 
whenever i'm completely stuck, i find that having a few drinks and talking with friends is what helps me out the most. some of the funniest things i've ever written spawned from being tanked and just bouncing ideas around.
 
well i'm proud to finally say that i've broken the writers block... took me long enough!?!?!. what i did was a just sat down and said to my self.. "write and just do it" so i did and i'm writing now. i just kept procrastinating and the problem or the hardest part is just getting the first draft done (which i'm far from) and making yourself do it

thanks for the suggestions and advice!!!
 
Writing a novel you have room to move around and work through things as you write. But with a screenplay you don't have that luxury. Everything in your script needs to move your story towards its ending, otherwise you'll waste time shooting things that you'll end up cutting out later. What I find helps me is to KNOW my story. I spend a lot of time getting ready to write. I make sure I know what my ending is then I figure out my plot points for each of my acts. Next I start laying down "bullet points" that move toward those plot points. I did a lot of experimenting to come up with a method that works for me and it may very well not work for someone else since writing is such an individual endeavor. When I have my bullet points complete I begin to write. At this point it is a pretty quick process getting the first draft done, usually six to fifteen days. I know that probably sounds unrealistic but by the time I actually start writing the script I probably have a month of intense story/character construction complete. Once it's time to write I have my bullet sheet next to me and I push myself through it, moving from one bullet to the next. I find that when I have done the proper preparation I don't have problems with "writer's block." Of course, I love the whole process of movie making, it's the writing that I love the most because it is the one place where I feel that I'm in control. At least for the first draft. It also helps to know what you're going to have available to you so you can write to budget. It may take some creativity to make up for what you may lack in budget. Just my two cents.
 
Back
Top