Vue 6 question

I've heard so much about Vue and seen a bit of work done with it but don't actually know what it is... Is it another 3D program?
 
It's primary role is enviroments. Trees, forrests, mountains and clouds/skys.

It works in a way similar to game programming in the way it renderes brush.

Another advantage is it can import 3ds models but, when it renders, it only loads the texture thats being rendered. So, it saves on memory and multiple texture maps of say, around 40gb can be handled.

There is a down side. It's buggy as all get out. And I don't think I have nearly as much creative freedom in animating anything I want like I do in other programs. It's all just data. I'm wiggin out. 'Unbelievable'.

I have about 3 days playing with it but, at the moment, I'm really disapointed with it's limitations. On the other hand, the enviroments outrender the competition and speed wise it's great. It still takes a knowledge to get the most out of it.

Kind of a bitter sweet experience so far. Hope I can actually use it in the end.
 
Hey Raptor, have you watched the demo video of theirs? I think they might tell you that everything is, in fact, able to be animated... It's been so long since I saw the demo, I can't remember.
 
Hey Raptor, have you watched the demo video of theirs? I think they might tell you that everything is, in fact, able to be animated... It's been so long since I saw the demo, I can't remember.

I've been all over everything but you know how it is during the first little bit when picking up a new program.

I'm too much of a noob for people to even respond to at other sites, HA.
But honestly, I don't have time to dick around acting like a big shot.
I have some shots I would like to do that have a deadline and I need to figure this crap out, now, like today, if you know what I mean.
So, I dive into the noob pool I guess, lol.
 
Very cool you got Vue. Someday I will get my hands on it as well :) Good luck with the learning process! If I had any knowledge on Vue I would certainly pass it along to you sorry I don't.
 
Last edited:
Raptor,

When do you need help by? I can take a look for you tomorrow (Sunday).

I haven't touched it in a while. It kept crashing on me. But maybe if I reinstall it and mess around with it. What exactly do you need to figure out with it?
 
Well, my issue with it was when I tried to import anything. It would do the landscape fine - just didn't want to play well when I imported things into the scene.

Mind you, this testing was done several months ago. I haven't used it since. That's the main thing I can remember about it though.
 
Raptor,
When do you need help by? I can take a look for you tomorrow (Sunday).

I haven't touched it in a while. It kept crashing on me. But maybe if I reinstall
it and mess around with it. What exactly do you need to figure out with it?


I'll send a PM with my email. Thanks.

I always here that from so many people. I downloaded the demo a few months back just to mess around and it didn't crash on my computer but I didn't test it extensively.

Well, it's not really crashing now. I have a 2gig shitbox of a computer without a good video card so some settings rea-adjustments has eliminated those problems.

But there are documented memory issues, which by the way, is why they have a 'Purge Memory clickcy-thingy-doohicky' to take care of that. Long story.

But when I started it, it crashed on every render. And if you export any models to C4D they have to be converted to polygons first, else, it crashes and does not say why. Little things like that really, really, piss me off.

They say, oh yeah, just export it to C4D and alls fine. I had to figure out the work around by myself. I hate that kind of BS. It does NOT export tree to C4D.
AND the UVW's are unusable. It exports for C4D, yeah, Version 5. Can you believe that ****? V5. I have 10.1 and the textures are all fked up on import.

Anyways...find a happy place, find a happy place...lol.
 
They say, oh yeah, just export it to C4D and alls fine. I had to figure out the work around by myself. I hate that kind of BS. It does NOT export tree to C4D.
AND the UVW's are unusable. It exports for C4D, yeah, Version 5. Can you believe that shi*? V5. I have 10.1 and the textures are all fked up on import.

Anyways...find a happy place, find a happy place...lol.

Really that seems crazy. Is that the newest version of Vue? I thought there was an actual plugin that imported the models from vue into Cinema....

That does sound frustrating no doubt! It sounds like you certainly will need your self a happy place!
 
Well, my issue with it was when I tried to import anything. It would do the landscape fine - just didn't want to play well when I imported things into the scene.

Mind you, this testing was done several months ago. I haven't used it since. That's the main thing I can remember about it though.


I never even got that far with it. I know one thing the demo videos on the site look breath taking.
 
Really that seems crazy. Is that the newest version of Vue? I thought there was an actual plugin that imported the models from vue into Cinema....

That does sound frustrating no doubt! It sounds like you certainly will need your self a happy place!

Yep. 6.0x with updates to 6.5 and now 6.6.
They support C4D v5.... Barf.

//well, that's for exports. I have Infinte version but I understand the xStream version is more compatible with C4D. But I beileve the exporting is still for v5.
 
Yep. 6.0x with updates to 6.5 and now 6.6.
They support C4D v5.... Barf.

//well, that's for exports. I have Infinte version but I understand the xStream version is more compatible with C4D. But I beileve the exporting is still for v5.


Oh I see that is what I was thinking. I believe with xstream you can work with vue actually inside C4D seems cool if its stable.
 
Again, this sounds terrible...

You said you need to use this for a project on a tight deadline... are you really trying to do something that you can't in C4D? It seems frustrating to try to get a grasp on the program with all it's bugs... It seems even more stressful to try to learn it to a point adequate enough so you can use it for a project that needs to be done within a few days.

I say let it chill and just use C4D if you can... trying to rush a thing like that is like asking to lose hair.
 
I think of vue as an extension of C4D that supplements what I doing there.

Well, actually no, it's not a tight deadline, not yet, but if this keeps up it's going to be. It's just a little frustrating sitting here spending all day trying to accomplish the simplest of tasks when I could be putting something together. I'll get it figured out.

Here's the question anyways....
------------

I have a sunlight and would like to animate the Flare Intensity property.

My first instinct was to turn on auto keyframing, move the time slider and move the property slider. It didn't key so I tried using 'Add Keyframe to All Properties.'

That keyframed it, but the only properties I can animate are 'Orientation, Color and Softness.' I would like to be able to animate any property like above.

I've been looking at the Function Editor but I don't see a way to get to it for the flare intensity.

Hopefully I'm just missing something simple.
Here's a pic of the property page I'm working with...

LightEditor.jpg
 
Well, it appears the program can't do what I'm asking of it.
Be nice if it could. I don't get it. Anyways...

So, what I'll probably do is, do it old school to get the effect I want. Frame by frame stop motion style. Not really any major impact on rendering time, it just means I have to babysit every frame.
 
Back
Top