Using a camera next to electric saws...

ondawan

Active member
Hey folks,
Im gonna be shooting in a wood mill and was wondering if saws create a large magnetic or other kind of field which could harm the camera?. :P? ill be going quite close to machines so aside from being sawed in half, could anything happen to dvx100? otherwise any thing that could be done about it?
Cheers,
;D
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

I've shoot in some odd places over years with a dvcpro, and I only had that problem when I got to close to an MRI in a hospital. The VF went crazy for a few hours. I have been next to a large mill in a ship yard before and everything turned out ok. mike
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

The only thing I would worry about is some kind of dust cover. HAve you even seen the amount of pulp dust in those places?
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

[quote author=John_Hudson link=board=news;num=1074438741;start=0#2 date=01/18/04 at 18:31:02]The only thing I would worry about is some kind of dust cover.  HAve you even seen the amount of pulp dust in those places? [/quote]

you should see my office right now lol...
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

:D

Shiiiitttttt. You probally have like carbon fiber shavings all over the place!
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

aluminum :)

hey I like your new little photo.. what is it?
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

Nighthawks by Edward Hopper.  It's his most famous painting I think although I like some of his others even better.

.  
 
Re: Using a camera next to electric saws...

electromagnetic engines let off alot of electromagnetic discharge..not limited to but including static electricity. youve probably seen this manifest itself before when running the vaccum cleaner while watching tv .. and the tv gets all staticy, or pending what materials are involved, you can get a nasty shock. pending how close your cam is to the motors, and the size and power of the motors- you might get some tape dropouts due to all the electromagnetic feild energy that is present when the motors are running, or worse would be some nice static shocks to the camera. the fields would have to be reallly strong to do any real permanent damage to the actual camera though..but static builds up in machine shops, or woodworking shops alot from the amount of dust on the floor(and everywhere else), and the constant friction everywhere. so be careful. once upon a time i worked in a woodworking/machine shop, so i would just be sure to put a dust cover on the cam, but put some cloth over the dust cover, cause if the cover is plastic, you begging for some static electric shocks. again probably nothing to worry too much about, but better safe than sorry. so wear non staticy clothes too. it seems kinda petty, but you would be amazed at how powerful static electricity can be.. espescially in a saw mill. alot of fires happen all the time due to the static in the dust and around the chemicals and such. ..ohh - bring some ear plugs.
 
Back
Top