Greetings folks,
I just finished my latest film, BIGELOW, which is now available online at Vimeo. Links are below. It is about a backpacking adventure in the northern wilderness of Maine.
Just some background:
I completed this film as my master's thesis project for a graduate school film degree. Since it was educational, and not for profit, I utilized a lot of Creative Commons songs, most with the "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0" license.
I wasn't interested in shopping the film around to film festivals, as it was an academic assignment and passion project. Lo and behold, I recently discovered that my home state of Maine hosts a "Maine Outdoor Film Festival" which screens films like mine about outdoor focused adventures in Maine and beyond. This seems like such a specific and focused festival that it would be interesting to see my film screened if it was accepted! It would also be a way for me to interact with more filmmakers in the outdoor videography community.
For me, a possible screening at the festival would be beneficial only for validation and exposing people to the beauty of Maine's mountain ranges. But I want to do right by the music rights holders and not submit anything unless I have the rights.
For one piece of music, "Old Friends, Good Times" (the opening credits theme of the film) I paid a small personal fee. The process for this seems straightforward––if I wanted to ship it to a film festival, I'd be out 100 bucks. Here's the link to that song: https://vimeo.com/musicstore/track/145112/old-friends-good-times-by-martin-sebastian-holm
But I'm vexed about the Non-Commerical Attribution songs. I would not accept any financial reward or compensation from the festival even if offered, but I don't believe that is enough to ethically ensure I do right by the rights holders.
Can anyone help? Below are links to the festival rules and my film:
Festival Rules: http://maineoutdoorfilm.com/submit-2014/
I just finished my latest film, BIGELOW, which is now available online at Vimeo. Links are below. It is about a backpacking adventure in the northern wilderness of Maine.
Just some background:
I completed this film as my master's thesis project for a graduate school film degree. Since it was educational, and not for profit, I utilized a lot of Creative Commons songs, most with the "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0" license.
I wasn't interested in shopping the film around to film festivals, as it was an academic assignment and passion project. Lo and behold, I recently discovered that my home state of Maine hosts a "Maine Outdoor Film Festival" which screens films like mine about outdoor focused adventures in Maine and beyond. This seems like such a specific and focused festival that it would be interesting to see my film screened if it was accepted! It would also be a way for me to interact with more filmmakers in the outdoor videography community.
For me, a possible screening at the festival would be beneficial only for validation and exposing people to the beauty of Maine's mountain ranges. But I want to do right by the music rights holders and not submit anything unless I have the rights.
For one piece of music, "Old Friends, Good Times" (the opening credits theme of the film) I paid a small personal fee. The process for this seems straightforward––if I wanted to ship it to a film festival, I'd be out 100 bucks. Here's the link to that song: https://vimeo.com/musicstore/track/145112/old-friends-good-times-by-martin-sebastian-holm
But I'm vexed about the Non-Commerical Attribution songs. I would not accept any financial reward or compensation from the festival even if offered, but I don't believe that is enough to ethically ensure I do right by the rights holders.
Can anyone help? Below are links to the festival rules and my film:
Festival Rules: http://maineoutdoorfilm.com/submit-2014/