Screenwriting workshops and courses for newbies?

Can anyone recommend any *reputable* screenwriting classes, courses, intensive workshops, etc. for experienced writers that are new to screenwriting and storytelling? I'm not looking for a degree program that would require college essay, exams, etc. I'm looking for maybe an immersion program, not something that meets weekly or promises a feature-length screenplay in 10 weeks, etc. Cost and location is of little concern. Have gun, will travel.
 
Years ago I took a couple of "weekend" courses in Extension programs at UCLA and CSULB. It seems that I took quite a bit from them, not to mention getting fired up to write. Check your local university and see what they have to offer.

The biggest thing for me was learning to tell a story in 100-120 pages. It can sometimes be difficult to keep from blowing the whole thing out until you develop a personal stragety to "keep everything moving" and "show don't tell." After all, it is movies and not a novel.

p.s. It can be especially hard to boil down a novel to its essence and create a coherent screenplay, particularly if your are attached to the novel. It's just as hard to "kill our babies" in the writing process as it is in the editing process.
 
Back
Top