RETOUCH Thread- Post your Before and After samples here!

sbryan

Well-known member
My version of SBryan's pic.
2976386648_daba5e5de2_o.jpg


-Kevin

I like it. Reminds me of my mom's photo albums.

I look forward to participating in the post-processing thread.

How should I shoot roofs in the future? They make output and compression difficult in that the results aren't sharp. Also, the color isn't accurate. I see shades of red in gray shingles.
 
I see what you were going for - it´s got something nice to it but not quite my style. :)
 
Quick and dirty job. This was for MY fiancee's zed card, she just needed 50 prints to hold her over for a little while till I can shoot some new ones cause she just realized she ran out completely.

Unfortunately I posterized the crap out of it, especially noticeable in her underexposed legs, slightly noticeable on her stomach too. I rushing through the steps, it was a Jpeg and there was tons of noise too... I wonder what camera it was and why she used a high ISO on such a sunny day... anywho... since it is for the back and the print size will be something like 2.5 x 4 inches (about the display size shown) then that helps too.

Hopefully I'll get to shoot some of my own soon.

2.jpg
. . .
2_PS.jpg
. . .
2_PS_new.jpg
. . .
2_noise.jpg


BEFORE > AFTER > edit:AFTER (with old exposure) > 100% CROP (inside her left leg)

I wish I would have had more time and I would have not only not ruined her skin tone so bad but also kept the flowers looking more like from a sunny day. It would have been simple enough if I just kept her legs stomach and flowers from the original.

Anywho... she submitted them before they closed so she can have them done ASAP.

EDIT:
Ok, so I went back and grabbed the old picture which wasn't posterized but underexposed and threw it in there mostly for the flowers and Michelle... but the walk way turned out to look the same either way. Also I lightened up the sky so that photographers or other trained eyes wouldn't get too bothered by the highlights on her shoulders etc being way overexposed and the sky not matching it at all.

So I think I should find a common ground and split the difference somewhere in the middle. It was a whole lot of work for nothing since the size won't show all the work I did to make the seams flawless.. blah blah blah... best just shoot my own stuff, RAW, and also shoot the BG bracketed then walk her in... or light her properly...
 
Last edited:
It likely would have helped to have a strobe as your main light. The issue with this photo was mostly the approach. You can't shoot someone exposed for their shadow and expect the BG to not be blown out. Now, if you shoot to expose or under expose the BG and use a stobe as your main light then you likely wouldn't have needed any post at all. :thumbup:

Nice that you have such a pretty model on hand though. You can just take her back out and do it again.
 
Hehe.. exactly my thoughts man... I mean middle of the day and you want to shoot backlight out in the open, with the sky and other light surfaces in the frame, in one exposure? Not happening bro. :)

I don't have a wireless flash and my built in is not only just an inch from the lens but also nowhere near powerful enough for this... I would guess. I'd probably bring out two C-Stands and 4x4 bounces which I do have. Probably use the white side as close as possible... But for mobility yea, shoot it as much shorter exposure and use a flash... hmmm... I bet shooting with nice flashes is a heck of a lot of fun.
 
Back
Top