red rock mini35 on 35mm

November was NOT shot with an uncompressed system. It was only edited on an uncompressed timeline. Reel-stream didn't even have a operational product (for commercial use) by the time the film was shot.
 
I apologize for the misinformation...I guess the director was referring to a 4:4:4 edit or color-ccorrection. I must admit, I didn't know that there was such a thing as 4:4:4 color-correction. I must have misunderstood...I'll go grab a chair and face the wall for 30 minutes.
 
No worries, Jim! You can come out of "time out" now! :)

I just wanted to make sure people didn't get the wrong impression about "November" -- it didn't need special hardware, it really is the straight DVX (not even the anamorphic adapter). They may have worked wonders with it in post, but the images the started with are straight from the cam.
 
Hi Barry,

I'm considering purchasing a micro35 unit for my doc. But now wondering whether it's worth it if "November" got such good results shooting straight with the DVX. You may recall I have a DVX100A, shot one interview for my doc using the anamorphic and discovered that it's probably best suited to dramatic productions where there's more control.
I definitely want to transfer to 35, for initial film exhibition and hopefully sell it to television.
We're having a little trouble getting the shallow DOF in normal interview set ups - too close quarters, which is one key reason why we're looking at the micro 35 and additional lenses.
What are your thoughts?
 
So can we have some clips or footage of those that finally got their films transfered from the adapters (any of the adapters) to a 35mm film????????
 
We recently had our micro35/M2 adapter reviewed by Maurico Rubenstein, DP for such projects as Casa De Los Babys. His goal (along with is two ACs) was specifically to evaluate the micro35 for film out quality. His reaction (roughly paraphrased) was that he was pleased with the color, contrast, and resolution, and he felt it would work for his 35mm film out requirements.
 
So is it possible for you guys to show us a true raw 35mm transfer footage of some shots done using the M2?

With that, we can then believe that truely, this can be done, of course with some serious expertise!.
 
The only way they could show such footage is by showing a film clip. Transferring footage to film, and then back to video, and showing that video, wouldn't tell you anything. You'd have to see it in the theater to know if it's worth using for a film blow-up.
 
Film out testing via the forums is like a proof for quantum uncertainty principal - we can say its there, but if we show it to you it goes away (i.e., we have to convert it back to video). At any rate, no one has produced the film, we only have an educated opinion who has used an adapter. We do have a *very* special DP who has agreed to do the film out test.
 
Back
Top