Question about the film industry, is this possible?

Zachadoodle

Is it possible to just work doing freelance work making videos, collecting cameras, and knowing a lot about it, but be stuck being a PA, an extra, and a writer. When you make your dream film you expect you yourself to direct it but your only chance of it getting made is if you are kept out of it regardless of how much experience you have with a camera and with people, but they like your writing, so you get your film produced by a different producer and director and crew not yourself.

Everyone has a price to do things in life so of course it's possible if you pay people to make your dream film.

But the way that is worded is like if it were a proposition from someone telling you they'll make your film but you can't be part of the crew.

If that's the case it's unusual (like for your own passion project) but probably has happened before.

[And obviously lots of writers write and sell their dream film ideas without ever wanting to direct or be a part of actually making the movies.]

EDIT: Do note, I'm not saying any of this is you personally or even your current situation but I'll go back and forth between personal reference and general advice. Hopefully it helps somewhere!

Situations like that can happen but just as a big star like Bradley Cooper has complained that he needs to find other means of living with what he's paid, it all just depends. That kind of work situation would tend to happen with a screenwriter with little experience in production paying for their film to be made. While there is something to be said for directing your own film as a writer, you would have to consider the prospects for your film made by yourself and whether your skills would be what is best for the film's overall outcome. Even getting a script sold is a big deal but if you're just a writer, you have to think, what financing producer or production company would want to hand a possibly multi-million dollar project over to be directed by someone with no experience making a film?

There is also a possibility of the artist's previous work, even if it is a concept short or trailer, having a great story idea but looking insufferably amateurish, as can be seen with some of the lowest of the low indie "films" out there. Having been to a film school program in my undergrad and graduate MFA, I've seen several instances of other disciplines in the program excelling at their discipline but it was clear that telling a story was very difficult for some. That was a school environment though so it was a safe place to experiment and learn so if anybody got better later on outside of school then that's entirely up to them and their determination and practice. Looking around online though, it's clear that there are a lot of people that think they can just "make a film" and "be famous" but then you end up with something that is so unwatchable that it gets put on Youtube or Vimeo for free or simply disappears. I do have to say, even though they may be terrible in the worst ways when it comes to filmmaking, those folks can sometimes make a career making those awful things, how I don't know.

There is also a potential issue of being socially awkward and not inspiring confidence in your financers and/or producer(s). We've all seen this on shows like "American Idol", there's some people out there that might actually have some talent but they come off so awkward or strange socially that it just doesn't work out no matter how hard they try. In the case of Tommy Wiseau with "The Room", this worked out amazingly despite some initial hardships but having that level of eccentricity, weirdness, and mystery turn out for someone is literally a one in a billion. Whether it's nerves or an unfortunate condition or even a language or cultural barrier, working on one's character and mannerisms is its own struggle that many deal with, especially in a field that requires a great deal of professionalism due to so many laws, various entities involved, and, especially, the amount of money at stake.

If having low production experience or social awkwardness is an issue, then my recommendation is to try and make a short film with yourself or friends. This can strengthen your filmmaking skills and, if working with others, helps build confidence on the job and can also give a great reel piece if it turns out well. My multi-award winning web-series, "The Review - A Fatal Frame Fan Film" was made with just my brother and I and most of the time I filmed myself while my brother was busy practicing 3D animation. It's not perfect but it was made for fun since we had graduated from film school and I wanted to make something. Since I liked the "Fatal Frame" videogames and the fifth installment was coming out soon for the Wii-U, I thought I should finally do something based on a little short "Fatal Frame" idea I had had for a while. Making the web-series was essentially like making a feature film when adding all the episodes together and its success led to my brother and I deciding to go for our first feature which is now just about done with post production. Just note, even with self-education since we were in high school as well as going through undergrad and graduate film programs, making anything on that scale is not easy!

One of the strengths of both projects is that we kept costs way down and operated on a tight SAG Indie level so we could self finance the web-series and the feature film. Knowing what we would need and not getting carried away with too much gear (we did overspend on lightbulbs though), we found that we were able to do everything we wanted to do with surprisingly very little. So, if you can take some inspiration from that, I would say that making a high quality short or small web series can really help get you noticed if you're having trouble getting your films made with you involved.

As for collecting cameras, it is fun but it's not going to get work on its own so unless you can use them for work of some sort then you have to consider that you're tossing out funds for your next self-financed film! Believe me, I have a ton of camera stuff and my own collection as well but that eBay selling gig is going to have to wait until after post production. :)

When I was young, I always thought I was best to do everything, and I've discovered over the years that while I can do lots of things well enough to be paid, I'm actually best at managing the others - so I no longer want to be the Director, the Musical Director, the cameras, the sound or lights. Few people have this triangle above them and are heading for one particular place, especially the top of the pyramid. Play to your strengths - but be willing to expand sideways to experience as much as you can. Now I'm old, I can do all these things, but I don't actually enjoy many of them. My skill is knowing when the job is best done by somebody else. I've never wanted to 'make a movie', or design something - but I'm great and making other people's vision work. I'm also much better at keeping my mouth shut!

Back