Pics to Hard Drive w/o computer?

DeadEyesSmiling

Well-known member
I'm looking to go on a South American trip in the spring with my D90, and really don't want to have to pack a computer just so I can interface a portable hard drive to store all my RAW pictures. Is there another solution out there? Thanks!

-DES
 
I got a portable burner / player that makes CDs from your cards automatically. Its battery and AC powered with a remote to watch movies. Pretty cool. I never used it. Let me know if you are interested. This way if it gets stolen ( I go to South America a lot) your not out a great deal and no one takes CDs that are burned. Just my 2¢. It was $280.00 new but I would take $80.00 for it. Boxed with instructions in like new condition. It also spans discs automatically so no worries on card size. My wife is from Peru and we just burn CDs from the family computers. We dropped a couple of Hard Drives before and the darn customs can suck with electronics. They always want to hit me up with some kind of import tax on my equipment so a photo copy of your purchase receipt helps to let then know it is not a new item that you are going to sell. One Christmas I took a bunch of gifts for the family and I thought I would never get through customs. I showed them the purchase price but they said what I had was worth much more than what I payed so I had to pay a higher tax but it beat having them keep the gifts. Just be prepared and also remember some airports down there charge you a final fee before you board the plane just for using the airport. It is about $50.00 the last time I went. Good luck!
 
I just did a trip to Vegas and my beloved MacBook's logic board died two days before I was supposed to go, so I picked myself up an HP Mini netbook and it was great for backing up photo's, and even doing some quick editing. I installed Lightroom on it and it runs surprisingly quick. And the best part is that it's small enough to fit in my camera bag. It's a little more expensive than some of the alternatives, but it has a lot more usefulness.
 
Back
Top