Olympus E-volt 500

g0ldenb0y55

Well-known member
I'm thinking about purchasing the OLYMPUS E-VOLT 500. Is this a good start for a still photography newbie?

All suggestions welcomed.
 
Yeah, I'm still on it! Many great reviews and technical specs.

So far it's looking like a winner! What SLR do you own?
 
you know i don't yet own one.. the last cam i bought was a sony F828. things change so quickly that i have no idea what to buy next.
 
So we're kinda on the same boat. But I'm sure you've got far more experience. Thanks for the Help!:)

I see you on many of Briceman's threads. Kinda of funny seeing how everyone reacts to his on going posting. Believe it or not he's like that in person! Energetic and happy as can be. The reason I know is cause work with the guy. He's a good friend!:)
 
Last edited:
I have the evolt-300 picked it up on clearance when the e-500 came out, it comes with 2 lens which is a savings on it's own. and the Olympus is the only camera with a vibration device for dust removal. It's not as good as say buying a Canon D20 but I couldn't afford buying the canon either. I haven't had any problems with it and the battery life is incredible ( around 400+ shots per charge with average flash usage)

mod1.jpg

mod2.jpg
 
Those pictures look great! I like the depth of field specially on the first one.

Have you shot anything using ISO 800 or higher. They say that these camera's are pretty bad when it comes to shooting at a higher ISO level (ISO 800 and up). That's just what I've been reading.

Thanks for the samples!

-Hank
 
Yeah the ISO above 400 although available isn't really something that you want to use all that often... However I have taken some pretty low light photo's that turned out fairly well although grainy..... But that's what a flash is for and the FL-36 for about $189.00 works pretty good. here's a pick of the wolf that was at ISO 800 it's slightly grainier but not bad... ISO 1600 is were the grain really shows. I think it's a great camera though for the $'s. and a lot of reviews say the same. like I said mine came with a 14-50mm and 50-200mm lenses aswell.. I also bought a microdrive which let me say despite a lot of peoples reviews about them it works great.

wolf1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Well, from what I'm seeing in your photos, I'm now convinced that this is the camera for me! If I can get the same quality photo that you've showed me I will be very happy with that. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions, hopefully in the near future I can show you some samples of my own.:)

P.S. Another newbie questioin. What's a micro drive?

-Hank
 
Goldenboy I'm just starting out in photography so those stills are what I consider my beginners phase so the camera does wonders. The camera Takes compact flash type I/II and micro drives. A compact flash card is a very versitile card which can withstand amazing things, however compared to a microdrive they are a little more pricey. A Microdrive is basically a hard drive the same size of a compact flash card.

check it out here. I bought a 6gb card which writes fairly fast for what I need it for. and if using the Raw function of the camera it can hold a fair amount of stills.

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/site/en/menuitem.92382478a130ca1492480021aac4f0a0/
 
Likewise, just got my e-300 2 lens set up yesterday...loving it so far. The noise issue...yea its not as noticeable on your lcd...but once you move it to your monitor/comp - you notice it. I don't see the exact need for shooting past 400 - but if you have to Photoshop and other noise removal software will provide to be a great help. A lot of times people reference the canon's - but the reality is they have less noise...not that they're noiseless. All cameras have their shortcomings... excellent price point for quality wasn't one of them on the e-300 (or e-500 for that matter) Admittedly be able to shoot 3200 iso is nice - but for my budget and what I need...it prolly won't be of much use other than just being able to say I can do it in banter/discussion about cameras.

Basically I'd get a e-300/e-500 before a d70 or rebel xt...but I'd get a 20d (if finances permitted) before any of these. Don't break the bank, think budget wise not just about the cam - but lenses, expandability, tripods, batteries, memory, etc. And whatever you can reasonably get at this juncture amognst these cameras is gonna give you what you're best bet is.

136030499_a2528f6cc2.jpg


136023909_de3524c4c0.jpg


136023908_16a8a0603f.jpg


136023907_06f725f5c6.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top