NTSC vs DV

astroanalyst

Well-known member
I posted a similar question in another thread with no great expanation so I will try here...

When outputting your footage to different formats from premiere pro such as to a DVD or to a windows media file I run into difficulty.

The 'action safe' region in premiere accurately represents what is seen on my TV when playing a DVD.. It cuts off a great deal of the original 720x480 and reduces it to something like 580x432..

When I make a windows media file I see the whole 720x480.


My question is...
How should I go about making the same footage to be viewed in two different formats?
I guess my real question is ... what is the point of 720 when you only get to see 580 on a TV?

-astro
 
Don't complicated things. Keep it within the safe regions and you'll be fine. If you owned a LCD or a plasma screen you wont have this problem.
 
Astroanalyst - The reason for the safe title area is because different TV manufactures and even different models by the same manufacturer show different amounts. As the whole world slowly changes over to LCD's, Plasma's and such, the safe title area will not mean much since these display the full image.
Most newer CRT monitors show well outside the safe title area but older TV's do not. If you were to take apart an old (20year old) TV you would see a good bit of the picture tube is visible behind the front bezel. I believe that had to do with getting the guns to focus good in the corners.
Production monitors have a feature called underscan that lets you see 100% of the image. Most TV's only show about 95%.

So as Blue said - keep it simple and stay inside the safe title area.
 
Back
Top