New headshot today

Mino

Northern Dreamer
I thought I'd put this one separately in hopes of getting critique from those who do portrait shots with a good feel for lighting. I'm really short of models just now so am trying to learn my new flash system using me. This was an FL-50r strobe and umbrella up and to my right about three feet and an FL-36r with a diffuser cup slightly up and behind to my left. Comments appreciated:)


portraitsep.jpg
 
I think it's a fabulous shot, Mino. It's sharp and has character. My only minor suggestions would be to pop that left eye a little more, maybe check that slight flair just over the same eye, maybe bring down the brightness on the right wrist/forearm and maybe crop a half inch off the top to get your composition in a more suitable thirds area. You could stand to drop that hairlight a little. That's also a little too much computer screen for me in the bg, but again, I'm just being picky at this point, overall it's a great portrait. Bravo!

Hope it's cool I played around, I just really liked the shot and couldn't help myself. I think yours is still better :)

minovr0.jpg
 
Last edited:
"Hope it's cool I played around, I just really liked the shot and couldn't help myself. I think yours is still better :)"

This shot would not exist without some "Playin around"...Glad you took the time to play:)

I see an image better when there's a border on it ergo my repost. Your adaption is very cool and am hard pressed to decide on yours or mine. I like your lighting treatment a lot and the crop is growing on me. Overall thanks for the great tips. They are things I would have not readily considered.
 
Reworked the shot as per your suggestions and came up with this version. Didn't change the crop.

portraitsepv2.jpg
 
No goal, just feeding my vanity....I was just firing up my new strobes for the first time and playing around with position and stuff. I've never worked with remote strobes before. My cats leave the area at warp speed as soon as you open up an umbrella, my GF is out of town so I had to be the model:)
 
Oh okay. Cool! I'm a fan of more light on the face as well. Maybe a little less emphasis on the hair? I'm a fan of the border as well. Maybe a little less border but you know.
 
Jus a question MIno, not related to the photo, How many screesns do you have??? I see lotos of them in the photo.......

BTW I like the look of the headshot.
 
Four screens, two 22" Acers for my main system then a 37" Viewsonic mounted on the wall for DVD watching and a 26" Toshiba for my web surfing box, overkill for web surfing but it was the DVD screen before the Viewsonic.


I finally saw the flare over my left eye you were all talking about and attempted to fix it...Never noticed it before...Kinda thought you'd all gone mental:)
 
Back
Top