Need advice on better NR program/plug-in

puredrifting

Major Contributor
Hi all:

I have a multicam project I am editing in FCP 7.03 Unfortunately the camera that was assigned to record the board feed ended up with corrupt media so I have no quality audio feed of the event. Fortunately, I placed two backup digital recorders, a Zoom H4N and a Tascam DR-40 at each of the podiums that most of the speakers spoke at and we have audio from three other camera mics so for the most part, the audio is usable, if not very great. The only time I am completely hosed is when the main speaker went into the audience with a handheld mic to get testimonials from audience members, I have very little signal to work with. Some of the speakers projected through the PA and the Zoom and Tascam captured semi-usable levels but for some, the person giving the testimonial mumbled and did not project. I am using the noise reduction in Soundtrack Pro, which is so so, it helps, but not enough. I am boosting the low levels, bit of EQ, bit of compression but of course, that is bringing the noise floor way up. If I apply more than a little of the Soundtrack Pro NR, it sounds metallic and hollow. Having a hard time getting legible levels without massive noise.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better, more sophisticated stand alone NR program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I do not have Logic or Pro Tools anymore so I don't think I have a plug-in host, unless the program can plug into Soundtrack Pro? I used the Waves Resoration bundle years ago and it was great but expensive and I've reviewed Izotope and it was decent too but not sure if it is available stand alone, costs, etc. Just wanted to put it out there to see if there are others that I am overlooking that are inexpensive, simple and would do better than the built-in STP NR? I am not an expert sound mixer for audio post, but I at least understand the fundamentals. I may also be open to sourcing this out to a person who does have the right tools rather than trying to do it myself, if the cost is reasonable. It's probably a total of about 10-12 minutes of audio with half a dozen speakers with varying levels of quality. I am sure that someone talented could do a better job than I can with the right tools, but this is a super low budget live event that I am barely making anything on editing so I cannot spend a lot to fix the issues. It's killing me that I am an audio writer, I did my due diligence in recording the board output and had back ups but I am still going to end up with crappy audio for this portion of the project. I should have ran a backup recorder on the board output but didn't, learned my lesson, but I didn't have three extra digital recorders and I thought backing up at the podiums was a better idea. Live and learn. I hate shooting live events, exactly because of things like this, did this one more as a favor for a friend in need.

Ideas? Input? Are you a noise reduction expert who wants to make a few bucks on this? Let me know your advice on how to fix this. I told the client it's never going to sound "good" but I can make it better than it is and more legible.
 
iZotope Rx works as a stand alone also. But the big question is, are you going to get enough return on investment on this project. I suspect not. You can certainly give it a try, and thee may be a trial period? But NR is a subtractive process, so if you have hardly any signal to begin with it usually sounds really bad in the end.

Two possible options is to re-voice the one you can't hear. Since your client may know the real voice I wouldn't try to ADR it, but more like what you hear with translators.
Or subtitles.

The trick to NR is to do multiple passes and aim at pealing back the unwanted sound like an onion. If you try to fix it all in one pass it almost always sounds bad.
 
iZotope Rx works as a stand alone also. But the big question is, are you going to get enough return on investment on this project. I suspect not. You can certainly give it a try, and thee may be a trial period? But NR is a subtractive process, so if you have hardly any signal to begin with it usually sounds really bad in the end.

Two possible options is to re-voice the one you can't hear. Since your client may know the real voice I wouldn't try to ADR it, but more like what you hear with translators.
Or subtitles.

The trick to NR is to do multiple passes and aim at pealing back the unwanted sound like an onion. If you try to fix it all in one pass it almost always sounds bad.

Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to farm this out to a pro. Not possible to recreate or re-record, once in a lifetime live event with spontaneous testimonials from audience so what I have is what I have. I think having a pro take a crack at it will result in the best possible outcome, better than me purchasing an expensive piece of software and experimenting.
 
I am one of those audio pros...why don't you send me one of the worst clips and I'll give you my opinion of what I think can be done with it and how.
 
Back
Top