Indoor Shooting Locations

Does anyone know of any nice indoor shooting locations where I can take some couples portraits (specifically in NJ?)

During the summer it's no trouble taking a couple out to the water and get a nice cityscape in the background or going to a park but in the winter it's just too cold..there's too much snow around and everything is dead.

I had this great idea to shoot in the hoboken train station..i've seen a lot of pro photos online but for a portrait shoot I would need to put down a lighting stand or two. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get trouble the day of since that can be embarrassing in front of clients so I tried calling and finding out photo policies. It was looking good until they mentioned that if it's for commercial use then I would need to write a letter of intent and drop down $500...ouch! Of course for artistic use or documentary purposes, I could do it for free but I don't want to circumvent their rules since this would truly be for my commercial portfolio.
 
I'm not sure that actually counts as commercial work, since no one is necessarily getting paid in that situation.
 
I definitely agree and on top of that I'm trying to argue the point that it's not for commercial distribution just for my portfolio and for the couple that are in hte photos. The problem is that they have two categories to place the type of photography so when they are confronted by something like this they don't know where to place it.
 
To be honest, I shouldn't even have to write a letter of intent. NJ Transit is a public transportation system. Meaning any photographer should be allowed to walk in and take photos. THe only question should be around what is going to happen to those photos afterwards. If I'm not commercially selling, distrubuting or showing photos I take there I should be allowed to walk in put down a tripod and take photos even if it's for an art exhibition or news/documentary purposes.

Sometimes easier to apologies than to ask for permission. There is such a fine line between some of these "categories" and most people (including myself) don't fully understand the rights of a photographer. The only problem is being professional in front of clients.
 
I would just do it. They already told you art is okay. Call yourself an art photographer, it's just a word, and if you're not selling the shot it's arbitrary how you describe it. I believe that their policy has the spirit of allowing what you're doing without a fee, there's no reason to confuse them with details after that. And if someone questions you, you can tell them that you asked and they said it was okay for non-commercial work.
 
Back
Top