In-camera color settings?

sbryan

Well-known member
I just downloaded a trial of Lightroom and I'm quite impressed by my control over color. The performance for Mac can't rival that of Aperture, but it's a start, and also the impetus for this question:

Do you guys change color settings (Color, Sepia, B&W) in camera, or do you change those settings in post?
 
Curious why you say Aperture performs better than Lightroom. I find Lightroom runs much more smoothly for me, especially as my catalog started to grow. However, I have noticed it can be quite the memory hog, especially since I upgraded to 10.6.

With the exception of B&W, I do all my color settings in Lightroom.
 
Curious why you say Aperture performs better than Lightroom. I find Lightroom runs much more smoothly for me, especially as my catalog started to grow. However, I have noticed it can be quite the memory hog, especially since I upgraded to 10.6.

With the exception of B&W, I do all my color settings in Lightroom.

I guess my Aperture library isn't that large yet, so that may be the difference, but I have probably 900 photos in Aperture and only 10 CR2's in Lightroom for testing purposes.
 
I do all my color conversions in post my reasoning being that if I shoot B/W in camera I can never have the color info should I choose to use it later but with a full color file I can twist it anyway I like and still retain the full color image.
 
I'm assuming you are talking about things like Hue & Vibrancy (and not Color Temp). If you are shooting RAW, then the only option you have is to do it in post if you are using Aperture and LR.
 
I do all my color conversions in post my reasoning being that if I shoot B/W in camera I can never have the color info should I choose to use it later but with a full color file I can twist it anyway I like and still retain the full color image.

That's my thinking, with the exception of High ISO portraits, candids, etc. Somehow, the noise is more flattering in B&W.
 
Back
Top