Importing a SD DVD into FCPX

nutmegger

Well-known member
Recently, I was given a SD DVD burned in 2008. The software used to edit the video and burn the DVD was Adobe Elements. Is there a way I can import the the DVD video into FCPX? The owner of the DVD wants to re-edit the video and add some voice over. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
 
The best method is to open the DVD with MPEG Streamclip and rip it to QT/ProRes.

File --> export to other formats - choose the format - set the quality to 100% - and deinterlace (if applicable). Basic settings.

You can also use other software like HandBrake, etc. They essentially all do the same thing with different options/features.
 
Thanks for the info NorBro. I downloaded the MPEG Streamclip free version and ran a test. I found it not that friendly a program to use. I did a search and come across a program called Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate. It is not free. I downloaded the test version, which only lets you convert 1/3 of the dvd, and was able to convert the dvd .vob file to a MP4 file and import it into FCPX. The converted MP4 video quality was looked pretty good. The Wondershare program has a simple user interface and was quite quick with the conversion. A Google search showed the Wondershare program has mixed reviews. Has anyone ever used the full version of this program?
 
Wondershare is popular too...there are so many different ones as mentioned.

MPEG Streamclip is very basic and an industry-standard (it's the best IMO) and I wrote instructions on what to do in the last post, but if you have a better experience with Wondershare and the videos look good then it doesn't matter at all...use what's best for you but keep in mind that you can do everything in MS that you can in others for free (there is no paid version).
 
Back
Top