File Naming Conventions / Project Organization

Transmission2

Active member
Im about to shoot a documentary on the JVC HD-100 and I plan to record all the audio seperately to a multitrack recorder. The camera doesn't have timecode nor will I be able to really use a clapper board. The documentary covers a band recording an album, so any extraneous audio is a problem. Im looking for anyone that has had experience managing media on a long form projects. The way I keep track of all my files and how I name them is going to be crucial when it comes to editing. If anyone has a solution, for how I should organize my project and what file naming conventions I should use - I would love to hear it.

thanks in advance. your help is much appreciated. :)
 
I'm curious to hear people's solutions to this as well. I typically use a naming convention of project_date_# and indicatte on the media something descriptive about the event/footage, but it's not a super efficient way to handle it. Hopefully the pros will have some good advice for you.
 
Thanks for starting this thread. I've been asked to put a bid in to edit an indie film in April. I wouldn't be too worried if it was my own film, but I'm sending them an EDL.

On recording audio outside of the camera:

Right off the bat, you're going to want to have someone keeping timecode. Even if you do a rough timecode sheet this is vital. What you can do is a quick "Tape 1, 00:15:16:00 (but speak the timecode out)" into the mic as you start to roll. You'll be able to get a rough sync with the audio in post.

Another option is (if the audio tech is near you while recording) is to put a piece of tape on the multi track and write the "reel" of audio you are recording, then shoot the multitrack lcd if it has timecode and take #.

It would also be helpful to know the model and make of the multi track recorder.

Finally, clapboards are CHEAP and crucial when recording external audio.
http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/Sobrante Professional.htm
($45)

On naming conventions:

All I can do is tell you what I do.

The very first thing you should do is NUMBER YOUR TAPES and LOG THEM TO A LOG BOOK. I can't tell you how important this is. Label your tapes BEFORE you start shooting. If you have multiple cameras:

Cam __ Tape 1/ <-- (leave this blank then fill it in when you have the total number of tapes shot ex: 1/15, 1/30 etc..)
"Name of project" - Date
Leave room on the spine and cover for tape #

When you capture your footage use the tape #, not the label. If you need to recapture you'll have the correct original source footage information.

I can't stress enough how important it is to keep and maintain a log book with relevant, up to date information on your source footage library. If you need one already created, let me know and I'll e-mail it over.

Pick up a mountable DV tape storage rack:
http://www.edgewise-media.com/mindvstorrac2.html

Anyway...

On a doco I'll create the following bins (folders, whatever):
Interviews
Broll
Audio
AFX (After Effects)
Graphics
Titles
Music
Sequences

There are SO many options for naming your bins. For example, if this is a travelling doco, I would create a bin for each state, or location. If you're shooting in a studio a lot create a bin called "Studio Footage". If you shoot them performing concerts create one called "Concert footage" etc..

On naming your clips:


I've found that it's always better to be more specific than less. Some correct examples:
Band unloading equipment from van
Lead singer taking a break outside
Bass, lead guitar and drummer tuning instruments
Band talks to large group of really excited girl fans

Bad examples:
Unload equipment
Taking a break
tuning instrument
Talking to fans

In other words, think about:
How many?
Who?
What?
Where?
When?
Happy/sad/tired etc
Ethnicity/sex (it can help sometimes)

Hope this helps.
 
Thanks bpotter...lots of good info in there. I guess everyone has their take on how you should organize a project. I hope more people share their organizational secrets. :)
 
Hi Transmission2 and gang,

Yes, file organization (or the lack therein) can be a real thorn in the side as a project grows, we put it aside for some time, or someone new joins the project. Hmm, now where have I heard this discussed recently? Ah, it was a postcast by... let's look around... it was Creative Cow, that's for sure. Okay, now I remember it was Aharon Rabinowitz but I don't see anything regarding file naming - now what was name of his related topic? It was one of the first podcasts... ah, here it is:

http://www.creativecow.net/aepodcast/ (search for "workflow tips")

I guess the grey matter still is sparking from time to time for me! Anyway, you'll love Aharon's organizational approach, presentation skills, and insights.

Enjoy, Michael
 
Back
Top