Exporting a 24P timeline

Rob

Well-known member
Does anybody have this problem ? When I export a 24P timeline using Microsoft DV AVI I always get a timeline that's real jerky in Encore .
 
Re: Exporting a 24P timeline

Hi Rob,

Does the problem happen elsewhere, as well -- for example, playing it back in Media Player or Premiere?

Also, if you are bringing an AVI into Encore, I guess that means you are using Encore for your encode? That's normally fine, but for 24p you might want to do it either in Premiere or with a dedicated compressor, since Encore's version of the Adobe Encoder doesn't seem to do true 24p encodes. (I know, it's stupid, isn't it? But Encore is in most ways a nice app.)

The advantage of 24p MPEG on your DVD is that the file size is smaller for the same quality. So you can increase the bit rate a little and be confident it will still play back smoothly.

You might already know this, but with the 24p MPEG file, the pulldown frames are simply left out, and the remaining 24 frames per second are marked up with various combinations flags ("repeat first field" and "top field first") so that your DVD player can assemble the necessary NTSC pulldown frames at playback time.

(And if you were in a situation with a progressive player and a digital display, the pulldown frames wouldn't need to be added at all.)
 
Re: Exporting a 24P timeline

Kevin,

Thanks for the quick responce, Yes it does happen in other apps as well . You're right to encode in Encore but when you do that is throws of the chapter points that you insert on the Encore timeline. I'll try to increase the bit rate.

Thanks Again
Robert
 
Back
Top