DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Guest

Guest
Does anyone have experience with the Panasonic DVX100 and the Steadicam JR? I'm purchasing the camera soon and want to know if it will work on the JR or if it is too heavy. Steadicam JR has a maximum weight guideline of 4lbs. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

hello robert. i wouldn't buy the steadicam JR for the DVX100 if i were you. go with glidecam products if your going to go with a handheld rig. yes, steadicam is the industry standard, and i know, i have operated steadicam's and glidecam's (the big rigs), steadicam is the best. about 2 years ago i purchased the glidecam 1000pro, nowdays called the 2000pro. i bought this puppy for 185 bucks, and i think the 2000pro is going for like 300 now at bhphotovideo.com, but you can shop around and get it cheaper. the glidecam 2000pro is more rugged and built better than the steadicam JR. it's the best hand held stabilizer out there in my opinion, but then again, it's my opinion. you don't get a monitor with the glidecam, as you do with the steadicam, but if you have the DVX100, you have a swivel LCD anyway. on my 1000pro, i have used small sony trv9's, all the way up to a canon XL1-S. it can definitly hold the weight upto a canon XL1. the steadicam JR will definitly have trouble with the DVX100, HANDS DOWN. go for the glidecam, much cheaper and easier to use. you won't be let down. hope this helps.

http://www.glidecam.com/2000pro.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=193812&is=REG

regards.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

There have been some reports that the DVX100 works wonderul with the Steadicam JR...even if it's a tad bit overweight on the stabalizer. Some people just attach additional homemade counter-balance weight on the steadicam and it'll fix the problem.

As far as Steadicam vs. Glidecam: I don't know which is better, but recently one of the industry's premiere Steadicam/Stabilizer operators who has been in the business for a long time since the invention in the 70s, compared the two and concluded that the Steadicam was much better than Glidecam in all sizes (small format or large cameras). This data was posted in dvinfo.net/conf. You'll have to do a search.

It's also a big no-no to use the camera's LCD as a monitor on the Steadicam (not sure about the Glidecam) since it'll throw off the balance (also, wind might catch the LCD and throw the balance off course) of the camera and the stabilizer. That's why there's a monitor on the Steadicam JR.

In a nutshell, people have been using the Steadicam JR with the DVX100 with good results...but the main consensus is that you have to practice, practice and practice...and this goes for any type of stabilizer, not just the Steadicam.

I also just bought the Steadicam JR for my DVX and should be getting it this week. I'll go ahead and post my review to this forum once I receive it. If it doesn't work out, I'll go ahead and get the Glidecam. Stay tuned!
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

really it comes down to opinion. the STEADICAM JR is more expensive. both stabilizers work very well, i have used both of them. i went with the glidecam because it was cheaper, and very easy to balance. also, you can use the LCD monitor of the camera on the glidecam, it doesn't throw off the balance. you can compensate for the monitor when you are balancing the rig. as far as the wind goes, that's not true either, you would think that the wind could also blow the STEADICAM JR off balance too, it has an LCD monitor on it as well. but skunker is right, whichever stabilizer you go with, practice makes perfect. the hand held rigs do a great job keeping the picture steady. it's just too bad the big $60,000 rigs aren't $300. ;D if your tight on budget, go with glidecam, you won't be dissapointed, but if you think you should go STEADICAM, then go for it, they both work equally well.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

Thanks for the responses to my question about the Panasonic DVX 100 and the Steadicam JR! This forum really has some very knowledgeable people who are very generous with help. I just checked on my camera's shipping info and it should arrive on Wednesday. I actually already have the Steadicam JR...picked it up on ebay a couple of weeks ago - so I will find out how well it works with the DVX100. I'm sure I'll spend the first week or so just getting familiar with the camera so it might be awhile before I start flying it. Thanks again everybody for the help.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

I have the DVX100 and did some research on stabilizers as well. I purchased the Glidecam 4000 Pro $389 (Glidecam 2000 is fine) and it is very good. The problem with the Steadicam Jr. is that it does not have a real gimbal. Also you should never buy a stabilizer that holds the same weight as your camera. You always need more weight capacity for Mattebox, filters, adapters, different lenses, heavier batteries, lights. The Glidecam has a small hole on the base where the weights are if you want to add your own lcd monitor. I just finished shooting a short this weekend and the Glidecam worked just fine. It takes time to balance it, but once you get the hang of it - its just like brushing your teeth. Practice makes perfect. Also try to have something to rest your stabilizer on. After several minutes you will break a sweat and get tired. Some tips: bend your knees just a bit, walk slowly and balance as if you were holding a hot cup of coffee filled to the rim. Some stabilizer operators actually have exercises they do to build up the muscles being utilized by this thing-a-ma-jig.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

I bought the Steadycam JR in Vancouver this summer and I now use it on the DVX100. It works GREAT!!! The thing I love about it is the ability to do the smoothest pans you've ever seen. The balance is fine... I use both the fold out LCD and the JR monitor (which works better in sunlight).

As far as the weight... fine... I use velcro on the extra weights to add if I'm using a 4X4 filter on my home-made lens hood filter holder (see thread). I used it last week for a museum shoot with the .6 Century extra wide adapter. For that I used the camera mounting plate from my tripod and screwed it into the tapped hole on the base. I sometimes leave the plate attached for a quick mount static shot in beteween the "floating" hand held work.

In my opinion... the gimbal swivel mount is what makes it... also it's light and packs into the same hard case as the camera (either mounted or off). Some people have constrewed the light weight as an indicator of poor quality, but it's a plus... the place where you need it to be solid is where the camera mounts to the handle.

You can see a pic of the camera mounted on the steadycam mounted on the tripod on my lens hood article.

http://www.2pff.com/cgi-bin/more.cgi?118

pics of original retrofit:

http://www.2pff.com/cgi-bin/more.cgi?110

http://www.2pff.com/cgi-bin/more.cgi?111

Good luck whatever you decide... By the way, which ever unit you settle on... don't expect to get immediate results without practice... but it DOES work well once you get the hang of it.

Best Regards
;D
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

Multimedia,
Thanks for the excellent advice! I received my new DVX 100 yesterday, spent last night learning the controls and operation, and I can't wait to go out and do some testing. I'll get around to setting up the Steadicam JR in a day or two. Could I ask for a little advice on which mounting hole to start with on the ballancing set-up? Also, what do you use for the "extra weights" that you velcro on to the battery box when you add items that make the camera rig heavier?
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

I've heard some very positive press on the Sachtler Artemis DV. Their reputation in tripods is second to none, but I haven't tried their stabilizer firsthand, I've only heard good things. But it isn't cheap.

Will
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

Mine came with the set of weights as part of the kit. They are flat and take to velcro well. You could use just about anything dense for weights. Whatever you use, try putting them as far back as possible.

As for mounting the camera, I am using the next to last hole on the side in the very rear portion of the mounting plate. You want to get the camera level in the middle of the crank adjuster.... in this way you can crank back for tilt up angle or crank forward for tilt down shots. If you run out of adjustment on the back crank (for left or right) you can simply swivel the lens end of the camera left or right a little for gross adjustment and then crank to correct. Also, using the "medium" or "normal" setting on the hinge bar plate puts the weight farther back as opposed to farther down with the "heavy" setting. This helps as the cam is a bit front heavy (why you have to use the hole on the back of the mounting plate. If you still need extra weight you can try what I use with the .6 WA adapter on. Use the camera mounting plate from the tripod screwed right into the hole provided at the tail of the base.
Once you get it balanced... you no longer have to worry about it. Just use the same hole each time... Also they have a threaded hole at the front end of the bottom arm which makes a good place to keep the cam mounting screw from getting lost.
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

Thanks Multi-Media for your Steadicam tips. I'd like to suggest that we make this the official "Steadicam JR Balancing for the DVX100" thread. Balancing this thing with the DVX is difficult (imho) and I am still looking for the right configuration. I have the camera loaded with nothing but a tape, small battery and leica lense hood.

So far I have this on the #8 hole set to heavy and loaded with all the weights that came with the Steadicam. It's OK, but it seems to rock to the left and right a bit when I walk. Still working on it.....I'd like to hear from others who have almost the same camera configuration as mine. What did you do to get yours to balance just right?
 
Re: DVX100 and Steadicam JR?

Since the cam is a bit front end heavy (especially when you add lens adapters etc) you have to use the hole at the very rear of the mounting plate. I like to use the fold out LCD panel so this means I use the hole all the way to the right rear (hole #8 - I just double checked) for left right balance. Also if the camera is a little left or right heavy... you can make gross adjustments by aiming the camera left or right to correct and then use the screw shift knob for fine adjustments. I don't like to use the Heavy setting on the hinge stop because this lowers the arm to create more leverage. Unfortunately this also allows the arm to come forward some. It's better to use the medium or normal setting and add more weight because as the arm comes up it, the tip with the weight also goes toward the rear a little. This helps with the overall forward tilt and lets you put the "front / rear" fine adjustment screw in the middle so you can adjust for tilt up or tilt down angle shooting. I used it yesterday and it really doesn't take a lot of set up once you have marked the hole and have velcro on your weight set.
Happy Flying
 
Back
Top