DVX 100b as an ENG camera

Stone122

Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the DVX100B in a news environment, i do freelance and stringer work for tv stations and I just wanted to know if the 100b would be a good choice. Also, how is it as a run-and-gun camera? Thanks
 
I've used it for some ENG work. It's absolutely fantastic, except all the pricks from the other stations will make fun of you for having a small camera (when in actuality, you're the smart one).
 
Eastside Parkway said:
I've used it for some ENG work. It's absolutely fantastic, except all the pricks from the other stations will make fun of you for having a small camera (when in actuality, you're the smart one).

i've recently had to swap my XDcam for the HVX200, because of a slipped disc in my neck. and what abuse i got from all the other cameramen when i turned up on my first news shoot with it.
luckily everyone shut up after seeing the pictures of it (and i'm only shooting tape at the moment)
ian
 
Thanks guys. I'm like you Ian, i usually use an XDcam which i love and since im young the 30lbs isnt too bad yet, I will miss editing and logging with proxies and then high-resing but its a sacrifice im willing to make for the portability of the DVX. thanks again. Any more??
 
I was curious about the HVX as an ENG cam. I agree. Heavy cams suck. I don't understand with all the technology that is out today, why do news cameras always have to be so big and heavy? It makes it very inconvenient for a lot of situations. For instance I was doing a driving re-enactment scene and couldn't do it because the camera woudn't even fit in the back seat or front seat. Also all the photogs I know, either get back or shoulder problems eventually.
 
spdamf,
the biggest advantage to the big heavy camera, is the big heavy lens on the front of it.
They are pretty balanced on the shoulder as well.
The only problem i've had since using the HVX, was trying to hold the camera steady enough when i was on the far end of the zoom, but apart from that i've been more than impressed with the pictures of the HVX.
Although i'm getting a PAG Orbiter on trial in the nest couple of weeks, (this is a shoulder mount) The idea being that i can put a PAG battery on the back of it to counter balance, and run the camera and the toplight ( C6 ) of the same battery
This should give me the FEEL of the big camera back, without the weight

ian
 
Awesome, I read in the November issue of Videography Magazine that NY1 News has adopted the HVX for it's videojournalists. So I guess it is catching on! By the way, I went for the DVX100B, so far its incredible but I still have a lot to learn. Thanks again!

-Stone
 
NY1's not the only one. Raycom bought tons of 'em, the Weather Channel's using 'em; look in the "Who's Using The HVX" thread for a list of those that I could find so far.
 
Im not surprised the HVX has a remarkable picture, plus its Tiny and Cheap!!! (compared to the shouldermount cams)
 
TimurCivan said:
Im not surprised the HVX has a remarkable picture, plus its Tiny and Cheap!!! (compared to the shouldermount cams)

The picture quality is superb, the only real disadvantage for ENG is trying to hold it as steady, when your on a breaking news story, and the adrenaline starts pumping a little.
ooh and after nearly 20 years experience with a SONY Betacam of some sort,
i've not quite got used to where all the buttons are on the HVX, while you've got your eye glued to the viewfinder and your handheld.

i need a little more practice

ian
 
I like to use a mono pod, it doesn't work in every situation but it helps. especially on long shoots for instance if you have an o.t.f. interview you can rest your wrist for a few. or in a gang bang where you get stuck in the back of the pack, tilt the LCD use the mono pod as an extention and go over the top, no more carrying a step ladder.
A.G.
 
Back
Top