DVCPRO HD 1028x720??

D.L.

Active member
Can anyone tell me why I can not get 1280x720 when working with DVCPRO HD in Edius? Is it due to the fact I am using Edius 4 Pro and not Broadcast?

Why is my only choice 960x720 for DVCPRO?

I have the ability to start a project as an HDV 1280x720 which will allow the correct settings but then I am stuck with certain output settings when rendering and this is not the correct format anyway.

Sorry if this has been covered but I searched for quite a while.

...D...
 
From what I've gathered, 720 in dvcprohd is recorded at 960x720 and displayed with a pixel ratio of 1.333... so the correct setting in edius is 960x720.

Someone please correct me if I'm confused too!
M.
 
Just one interesting experience I made. If you export 720p to Canopus HQ AVI using the Exporter Plug-in Select screen you'll automaticaly get a 960x720 AVI-file. This format is not valid and won't be accepted by other applications like TMPGEnc or the Windows Media Player. You have to go thru the PCE Wizard - HD - Canopus HQ. There you can enter the correct format - 1280x720.
 
Malcolm Wright said:
From what I've gathered, 720 in dvcprohd is recorded at 960x720 and displayed with a pixel ratio of 1.333... so the correct setting in edius is 960x720.

Someone please correct me if I'm confused too!
M.


Yes, I understand this point but I'm still confused.

I'll keep using the HVC 720p until someone can explain the workflow of a DVCPRO HD 720p file and how to keep it from being "squeezed" on output.

Thanks for the insight so far and Happy Holidays!
...D...
 
First off, you shouldn't even have dvcpro hd as an option if you are working with EDIUS Pro, and not EDIUS Broadcast. You need broadcast to work with DVCPRO

2nd, yes- your 720p footage is going to come into the NLE (any NLE) as 960x720. When you output you need to use the ProCoder Express Wizard. Choose the output you want. Then under the advanced settings button (which is after you choose a filename, etc.) you will choose your frame rate, progressive vs. interlaced, all that stuff. And you will also choose the size and aspect ratio. In the advanced settings is where you will be able to get the proper output size in the proper aspect ratio. Just type 1280 and 720. or 640x360, etc, etc.

That should take care of your problem.

If you are working with 720p 24pn, you would choose 24hz DVCPRO HD 720 23.98 over 59.97p. I think that's what it is.

Later,
Jason
 
For the technical, AVIs don't carry frame or pixel aspect ratio information in their structures. However, some compression types do (HDV, DV and MPEG-2) so when dealing with a compression type that does not encode frame or pixel aspect ratio information into the stream, the decoding application is left to guess at what the correct playback size is.

It's mostly a legacy design thing since in the early days of AVI (Video for Windows days), everything was assuming to be square-pixel and we barely had enough CPU power to decode those Cinepak files.

Brandon
 
Ramjet1979 said:
First off, you shouldn't even have dvcpro hd as an option if you are working with EDIUS Pro, and not EDIUS Broadcast. You need broadcast to work with DVCPRO

2nd, yes- your 720p footage is going to come into the NLE (any NLE) as 960x720. When you output you need to use the ProCoder Express Wizard. Choose the output you want. Then under the advanced settings button (which is after you choose a filename, etc.) you will choose your frame rate, progressive vs. interlaced, all that stuff. And you will also choose the size and aspect ratio. In the advanced settings is where you will be able to get the proper output size in the proper aspect ratio. Just type 1280 and 720. or 640x360, etc, etc.

That should take care of your problem.

If you are working with 720p 24pn, you would choose 24hz DVCPRO HD 720 23.98 over 59.97p. I think that's what it is.

Later,
Jason


Perfect explanation...I am well aware of the 960x720 aspect of DVCPRO HD just not the workflow of Edius.
Thanks Jason.
 
bhiga said:
For the technical, AVIs don't carry frame or pixel aspect ratio information in their structures. However, some compression types do (HDV, DV and MPEG-2) so when dealing with a compression type that does not encode frame or pixel aspect ratio information into the stream, the decoding application is left to guess at what the correct playback size is.

It's mostly a legacy design thing since in the early days of AVI (Video for Windows days), everything was assuming to be square-pixel and we barely had enough CPU power to decode those Cinepak files.

Brandon

Nice thanks for the insight.

Happy Holidays!
 
Back
Top