Don't try this at home.

gandalfrodo

Okay, I know I'm not the first to do something like this, and I'm sure I won't be the last. In fact, I'm almost certain that somebody somewhere is attempting this right now. But enough of that. I recently came into possession of my first rail system and shoulder mount. I specially ordered 36" rails so as I could add on a counterweight to the back of the rig. However I still wanted options (shorter rails) for say putting the rig on a tripod. A friend of mine had somehow (don't ask me how... probably a fluke of engineering or a miracle) found a piece of 5/8" copper pipe that fit in his 15mm rig, so I thought I'd try the same. Needless to say this ended in failure. After that I became a man obsessed with finding a cheaper alternative to having to buy 15mm rails (BTW, who came up with 15mm as the standard anyway? and why do I have to spend so much money on a piece of metal/carbon fiber pipe?).

That said, a few days ago I believed I had found my answer. My mother had purchased some 5/8"/1.5cm diameter curtain rods from Target. The cool thing was the rods had a slit going across their entire length so they could be squeezed into submission to fit into the 15mm holes of my shoulder mount.

I just managed to head over to Target today and pick up a set of my own as my mother forbade me from destroying hers. I used my jigsaw to cut them in half and after some persuasion from my grip clamps the pieces all fit and attached.

I know what you're thinking, "How great." right? Not so much. After spending $14 on curtain rods and chopping them in half with a saw it occurred to me that if I have to go through that process every time of forcing these things into place that is going to be a major pain in the neck. Not to mention the fact that I am most likely going to be adjusting my follow focus any time I switch lenses, how much headache is that going to cause me?

My advice, don't do like I did. Save your money and purchase real 15mm rods. As of yet there doesn't seem to be a super cheap solution. But I'm sure you already knew that :)

The stainless steel curtain rods that I use in my cheap rail system doesn't have that slit along the length easily and cheaply available in stores here, but the diameter is 13mm so I made my own clamps to accommodate the 13mm rods.

Here are some images posted over at the DIY section;

1269703805.jpg

I later found same diameter aluminum rods used in making radio antennas so I replaced them. heres some pics. The rods are now aluminum.

1269710877.jpg

It doesn't have to be 15mm to work.

It doesn't have to be "industry standard" as long as you know how to make things work, it can be done indigenously and cheaply.

Last edited:
Ted, you should really work in manufacturing. You're DIY stuff is often on a completely different level than what most people attempt.

Well, I bought the Rod support from Greg Tay for about 60€.

Also, there's a handwork store near the place I live (Göttingen, Germany) where I bought 40cm aluminum rods with the standard diameter of 15mm for approximately 3€. Then I replaced Greg Tays rods (30cm) with the aluminum rods. His blocks fit perfectly and I have more space to put my follow focus on.

Back