doc contracts and agreements.

scorsesefan

Veteran
I'm in the initial stages of starting a documentary feature about a musician. I've had a disastrous experience with a narrative feature where we had only an oral contract with the producer. I want to draw up an agreement with the subject of this project stating our respective roles/interest in the project. The film, as planned, will be kept ultra low budget so as to minimize backer/investor interference. I and my partner will insist on maintaining a controlling interest in the project as to retain creative control. As for the subject, I am tempted to give him a few (up to 10) gross points, but I am not sure that this will adversely effect our director/subject relationship. I don't want to get into an employer/employee situation... I know that I'm going to need actor/location releases, but what sort of contract should I draw up with the central subect. Also does anyone know a good source for these contracts, or should I get an entertainment lawer, and if so where are there inexpensive ones? Lawyers for the arts?

Thanks so much.
 
I would say get an entertainment lawyer to draw up all of these contracts for you. There are templates online that you can use or you can write it yourself but it's not recommended. Things always come up that you didn't plan for.
 
they're generally aren't inexpensive entertainment laywers. The reason being is because it's a very specialized field.
 
I have the book version of this software product by Mark Litwak. I use an entertainment lawyer and found the book, amongst others I have, a good prelude to familiarise with general contract terms. If you don't have the budget for an entertainment lawyer, perhaps start with some books (and the contract software if you see a relevant agreement(s) in the list). That said, it is a complex maze of knowing contract and intellectual property (IP) law, coupled with workplace safety and employment law/legislation that applies in the relevant territory. Ouch, my head is hurting...
 
Back
Top