colour filters

samson_uk1

New member
i saw the movie traffic by steven soderburgh and loved the three seperate colour filters used i just wanna know if it is possible to create the same effect (not quality) on a miniDV.
 
Re: colour filters

That look can be acheived, though the approach you take is going to vary drastically from how Soderbergh got it.

To my eyes, Mexico would involve a straw filter and crushing the blacks in the master pedistal. Ohio would be shooting with the 3200k preset outdoors with no 85 filter, and even then probably pushing the color temp setting up a few notches from 0. San Diego is the hardest of these looks, because it is so subtle and nuanced. It is the only "look" that I really don't know how they did, and it also involves playing with overexposure, rough territory for video. I won't begin to guess how one might get that with a dvx.

All this without Traffic or a DVX in front of my as I type, but I imagine you'd be pretty close with these suggestions.

Will
 
Re: colour filters

Traffic has 3 storylines with 3 different hues.

Mexico- Tobacco filter #2 with a shutter of 45 for exteriors and a shutter of 68 for interiors and the negative was overexposed.

East Coast- no 85 filter was used.

San Diego- Promist #1 and he flashed the negative 10percent

99percent of the film was shot hand-held.
 
Back
Top