Cadence problem

Beeblebrox

Well-known member
Here's a doozy. All footage 24pa. Captured in roughly twenty minute blocks. Imported into Premiere Pro 1.5 in 24pa mode for the project setting.

Most of the footage is fine. When you frame advance, you get 24 solid frames as you would expect. But two clips specifically are seemingly out of cadence. When you frame advance, it goes fwd, fwd, fwd, HOLD, fwd, fwd, fwd, HOLD. This despite the clips on either side of it being captured from the same tape and shot at the same time being fine and dandy.

I tried reimporting the footage. Didn't work. Tried converting the footage to 24p with DVFilm Maker. Got my 24p QT file, which worked fine, and tried converting that back to 29.97 so that I could just replace my existing file. Exact same problem.

My eventual solution was to simply use the QT file and relink my bin file so that I could keep my existing edits. But how do I prevent this from happening in the future? What might I have done here?
 
Re: Cadence problem

It certainly looks like Premiere is starting its pulldown removal on the wrong frame.

I think Steve Ogden had a similar problem (thread "All Adobe 24p DVD possible?" here in the Premiere section) only he had used 24p normal footage so his frame advance was going like this: interlace, progressive, progressive, progressive, interlace, progressive progressive, progressive and so on.

I don't have any advice but I'm interested in investigating this more. I'd like to figure out what clues Adobe is using to determine when and how to remove the pulldown.

Any chance you could post a 1-second clip (raw avi, no new compression) somewhere of this bad footage? I have some (small) knowledge of DV stream internals so I'd like to take the stream apart and compare it to a non-malfunctioning clip.
 
Back
Top