A little experiement

PerroneFord

Deals in Lead
Ok,

I've been given a work assignment. I need to shoot a "talking head" gig next week. Indoor, corporate lecture video. Final delivery will be on DVD for viewing over computer (corporate network) or in-house TV.

Room has all flourescent lighting in the ceiling, and I have no fills yet. I was able to get the room layout changed today so I can get decent light quantity.

This is my FIRST shoot with the DVX where I didn't feel like I was bewildered by the camera. But the thought hit me. Should I be shooting this in progressive or interlaced? I'm sorely tempted to shoot it progressive just for the potential quality. I'll have more than enough light.

So the questions come down to:

1. 24p or 30p. This is corporte video... 24p would give me the advantage of a smaller file size I think.

2. When going to DVD, will it automatically go back to 60i? Is there anything special about laying 24p to an ordinary DVD? I'm going to be working in Vegas and using DVDA for creating the DVDs.

What would YOU do?

(as an aside, my FS4 Pro came in yesterday, so I'll be trying that out too. But with a tape backup)


Thanks as always.
 
Well, it's hard to say, each frame rate is really based on preference. 24p does look 'different' from reality and is mostly used for dramatic films and shorts. While 60i is more realistic and used for ENG. I'd say that with this, since you want a realistic look, go with 30p.

30p is as close as you'll get to 60i while keeping the image progressive. Which, I say is all that much more important if you'll be outputting to computer distribution as most computer screens are progressive and most software based media players are progressive.

I'd shoot 30p for something like this.
 
Your thoughts seem to mirror mine. I tried to do a search here for information on shooting 30p and when it might be practical, but had little luck. I don't want the dramatic effect of 24p necessarily, but I'd also like not to have to process 2hrs of video to de-interlace when I can start that way from the beginning.

Thanks for your comments.

-P


meta4 said:
Well, it's hard to say, each frame rate is really based on preference. 24p does look 'different' from reality and is mostly used for dramatic films and shorts. While 60i is more realistic and used for ENG. I'd say that with this, since you want a realistic look, go with 30p.

30p is as close as you'll get to 60i while keeping the image progressive. Which, I say is all that much more important if you'll be outputting to computer distribution as most computer screens are progressive and most software based media players are progressive.

I'd shoot 30p for something like this.
 
just a thought - if you have flourescent lights remember they cast a green on the scene - most seem too.
for color correction in post u might want think about the color aspect to so you have alot to work with - especially if the client later wants to lean on the other end of your chosen look.....just a thought.....don't mean to lecture -

i had an experience where i really got myself in the corner with those colours.
 
Back
Top