I like the cinevate matte box, however I've only had it for a short while. It seems pretty solid. I believe the difference between a mattebox and a sunshade is the ability to add filters. I could be wrong, but this is what I'm lead to believe.
I've been trying to hold off on getting an MB until the RR model came out. But, they're going on 18 months since their first prototype...50 s'posed to ship last month, but didn't. So, I'm about to give up. Yeah, it sounds like a sweet MB, but I think we've been more than patient...
well if you waited this long you might want to wait just a little more as they said Q1 is very likely, i think they said something like 70% likely... (look in their forum) and Q2 was 100%
I highly doubt that they will not launch by NAB 2008. so if you can wait until then do, otherwise just get something that works now.
But I've seen the unit, its amazing for the price.
Well, with my luck, I'll buy a Chrosziel and then find out a week later than RR is shipping their MBs to everybody on the lists. Maybe I should do you all a favor and go ahead and order a Chrosziel, then?
Gas prices are always better the day after I fill-up.
it says 80% likely for all reservation holders on Q1 and Q2 is 100%
the Chrosziel is a whole an other price bracket... I'd wait and see what the RR looks like cause it just might be closer of a comparison than between their FF units...here all you want is solid construction and features... I think it must be easier to make a competing MB than FF unit...
FWIW, I heard that RR is going to be releasing images of the retail version of the MicroMB on Friday. Along with those images, we are supposed to be hearing some DEFINITIVE information regarding shipping dates.
I do not advise the holding of one's breath, though.
The good news if you buy the Chrosziel is that you can sell it on Mandy and write-off the difference to a great "rental" deal. Then, take your savings and put it into the RedRock version. There is a robust market for Chrosziel.
...and it's still delayed after a promise on Friday that we'd hear something this past Monday.
If that's how RR is treating their 'promises' to potential customers, I find it hard to invest in their gear in hopes of getting prompt support for that gear down the road. It's not a matter of 'can you wait' anymore.
Just to clarify, we have committed to have an update this week and it will be by Friday (tomorrow). We had *targeted* Friday last week and Monday this week. We hear everyone loud and clear that you want us to meet our commitments, which is why we are clear about what is a commitment and what is a targeted date. You will see us be more consistent in this going forward.
We committed to have an update on the microX on Feb 25th and we did just that. We will have an update on the microMatteBox by Friday and that is a commitment.
I think if you look at our customer service track record it's quite excellent. Please keep in mind what we're talking about here is product development which is prone to delays. We have tried to be as clear as possible that dates, specs, etc. are subject to change. Of course we do appreciate feedback that helps us better communicate.
I've had very very good experiences with Redrock and Customer Experience. I also know Brian Personally and he is top notch.
In an industry where companies are used to charging a lot of money because they know the studios can afford it, it is very refreshing to see Companies like Redrock and Coollights, etc... And I for one will be supporting those companies.
I will support them because of their principles, but also because I cannot afford a $4,000 matte box, or a $5,000 HMI light, etc.... I think everyone has to understand that the products being put out at this price range are incredible.
And if anyone has done any product development, I think they understand what it takes to put something out without any flaws. Even the mighty RED with all that capital behind it has had flaws in design and firmware. So those who cannot wait for new products at incredible prices, then buy existing products at double, triple or quadruple the price.
I for one as an independent film maker on a tight budget will have to wait. And I will do so happily knowing the commitment of RR to their design quality and customers.
Brian, glad to see the new update. I certainly hope that the dates stick this time. Sounds like a very promising product, and I will be taking a very serious look at purchasing one for my HVX.
I don't want to be critical to anyone, but wow...what a frustrating experience. Several suppliers have been promising low-cost MBs for YEARS!!! I understand wanting to build up excitement about future products, but several suppliers have hyped it up so much and taken soooooo long to actually produce a product, the only thing that grew was frustration...I only say that with sincere constructive demeanor.
yes, it's been a long road for sure. I think the this journey underscores how challenging it is to build an innovative quality matte box at a really affordable price. I hope your patience will be rewarded with the microMatteBox exceeding your expectations.
Just a quick update. We are still on track to start shipments of the microMatteBox April 15th. We should have pictures of the production version this week. It's everything we hoped for and then some