Should I buy a Mac Pro now, or wait?

Vampiresoup

Well-known member
I have been waiting for the mac pro to be upgraded for months now only to find that Apple has just put out an 8 core option that is WAY too expensive for me. My question is should I just bite the bullet now and buy the 4 core or do you think they'll be upgrading soon. I hate to pay the same price for a computer that's a year old.

thanks!
 
I would wait until after WWDC (Apple Developer Conference on June 11th). I expect by then most of everything should be updated. They just did the Macbooks. In my book the Mac Pro update to 8-Core didn't count since you didn't get anything more for your money. Nothing was added or made cheaper. Nvidia and ATI have new HD Video Cards Out Now, so they may make they're way into the Mac Pro in the near future. Of course, that could take time with Apple, you never know. Wait till June 11th at least though. I am in the same boat as you.
 
I agree wait until June 11th atleast. Also if you currently have a G5 or something do you really need to upgrade to a Mac Pro? If you are editing mini dv then most likely you don't need to upgrade. Wait as long as you can.
 
Thanks guys. Im editing on a g4 powerbook. Works great but I really want to chew through rendering with After effects when it comes out for the intel chips.
 
Then get one. LOL

There's not enough of a difference between the two [8-core and 4-core] Macs to justify the extra money. Just snag a Quad Core and keep doin your work.
 
Wait as long as you can and spend the most amount of money as you can. We are so close to WWDC that'd I'll say "hold off for now" as well, but there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Even if new Mac Pros are announced that doesn't mean they'll be shipping soon, and if it's a big update (more than just a speed bump) you'll have to decide if you want a Rev. A machine. With that being said, if there is a big update I'd grab a "old", price-reduced 8-core before they all disappear.


Kholi said:
There's not enough of a difference between the two [8-core and 4-core] Macs to justify the extra money. Just snag a Quad Core and keep doin your work.
It depends on what you're using the machine for and how long you plan to keep it. The performance gains while running multiple apps (especially mulit-core aware apps) are nothing to sneeze at (and will only get better as more apps become multi-core aware), and if the OP is gonna use the machine until it dies an 8-core Mac will have longer legs than a 4-core.


-A
 
Buy if you need, it is a great system. Wait if you can, updates by years end...

Intel is releasing their 45nm process chips and the new quad-cores by years end, and Apple will be switching to those I am sure... worth waiting for if no pressing need. Leopard comes out around then as well.
 
Back
Top