Still worth it to get PXW-X160?

shemster

I have the panasonic AG-UX180 but do not like the lcd screen for it's low contrast and hard to judge color. The SDI out also has 3-5 frames delay compared to my sony x70 which is almost zero latency. It's not good enough for live event due to lip sync problem. I am considering Sony x160 for it's 25x zoom and ability to use SD cards thru adapters. However it is almost 4 years old and Sony may release a replacement model this year? Is it still worth to get it now?

If I had to guess I would say this year at NAB will bring the 1" sensor 4k cameras at the pro level. I may be wrong but it seems like the time is here for the 1/3" class of cameras to get the upgrade to 4k. We are pretty close so it is probably good to wait if you can.

For what its worth, I moved from a PMW 300K1 to a PXW Z150 and LOVE IT! Lightweight ENG/EFP camera 422 hd and 420 4K, SDI out etc. Just a sweet little camera that has many features and is very affordable.

If I had to guess I would say this year at NAB will bring the 1" sensor 4k cameras at the pro level. I may be wrong but it seems like the time is here for the 1/3" class of cameras to get the upgrade to 4k. We are pretty close so it is probably good to wait if you can.

Yes. X160 is due for an upgrade afrer 4 years. To get into 4K, 1" sensor is a must since 1/3" is too small for the pixel. There's no news or rumor at the moment.

For what its worth, I moved from a PMW 300K1 to a PXW Z150 and LOVE IT! Lightweight ENG/EFP camera 422 hd and 420 4K, SDI out etc. Just a sweet little camera that has many features and is very affordable.

Z150 low light seems pretty bad from some reviews. The zoom range of 12x and 24x clear image zoom is not enough for my kind of work.

I received an e-mail from Panasonic professional about a new 4k 2/3rds inch shoulder mount camera. I hope the new product announcements start trickling in...

Last edited:
Yep, I read the reviews too and then rented one to see for myself. Don't agree with the low light comments or at least I have never had an issue. The zoom is definitely not back of the hotel ballroom on a riser but again not an issue for my work. But totally understand that it might not work for your needs. No matter what these days with a new camera every ten minutes I would wait and rent before you buy if you have time. I still have to work with network 2/3 inch cameras and just find them a pia for 90+% of the work I end up doing. Heavy and bulky these days behind the times. Interested to know what you go for, cheers!

Yep, I read the reviews too and then rented one to see for myself. Don't agree with the low light comments or at least I have never had an issue. The zoom is definitely not back of the hotel ballroom on a riser but again not an issue for my work. But totally understand that it might not work for your needs. No matter what these days with a new camera every ten minutes I would wait and rent before you buy if you have time. I still have to work with network 2/3 inch cameras and just find them a pia for 90+% of the work I end up doing. Heavy and bulky these days behind the times. Interested to know what you go for, cheers!

I need huge zoom range as I'm doing lots of live event where sometimes we have to be at the back of the ballroom. However it seems that the choices are quite limited in this aspect. There are not many cameras in this category with power zoom. Sony HXR-NX5R has huge zoom range but is only PAL or NTSC. I need a world camera and having switchable standards is very important, thus its a pity I have to leave that out. My current Panasonic UX-180 has good zoom but the processing does not have enough power for its 4K sensor. Many functions are lagging which include the lcd screen, audio processing and even SDI output. It's such as promising camera but is disappointing and I have to move on. I'm left with Sony PXW x160 as the camera that tick many boxes but I cannot find any rental house with this cam to test in my area and can only read and watch youtube review. Furthermore this camera is already 4 years old and it will be heartbreaking if Sony release a new model right after I buy 2 units of this.

When I was using my PMW 300 and at the back of the ballroom or up in the stands shooting iso of an athlete I often used a my Canon B4 lens for the extra reach. The advantage of that camera was interchangeable lenses and half in sensor. But no 4k. I can certainly see your problem and unless you have the biz to support the Panny suggestion or a Sony like it.... dunno.. tough one my friend.. Maybe this years NAB will bring lower prices on last years option or a less expensive new one. have you considered the new Ursa Broadcast from BM? Maybe you could get a rental of that one or get them to let you do us all a favour and evaluate it for the group.

looks good but is way out of the budget my clients are willing to pay for....

This was for shemster as he asked for the details.

I am hoping for a P2 level 1" camera from Panasonic with at least a 20x zoom. Sometimes Panasonic announces NAB stuff in March as with this camera I referenced.

Back