Sony PMW-300K1 - Initial Review

andykwilkinson

I've had my new Sony PMW-300 for a little over 2 weeks now and I've posted my initial impressions about it here.

http://www.shootingimage.co.uk/MoreInformation/SonyPMW300/SonyPMW300.html

Sorry I can't show any footage from it yet (as everything i've shot so far has been client confidential). I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting and the camera in general. It's a good step up from my (just sold) Sony EX3 and will complement my Canon C100 kit well.

When I've had more experience using my PMW-300 I hope to add more information to this article as and when I can.

Hope this is useful.

Excellent review, than you.
I am considering selling my cameras off and buying the 300. XDCAM is a much requested codec in the production world.
I do worry about shoulder mounting it, though. I've used the EX3 enough to dislike the semi-shoulder design.

Thanks!

Its definitely better on the shoulder with the PMW-300 than the in front of shoulder thing I had with the EX3 - but of course its not a true shoulder mount camera design. What you get instead is a much smaller unit that's a bit easier to pack away (and yes it should pack easily into bags that will meet most airline carry-on restrictions - not tried that bit with the PMW-300 yet). I really like it as you will have read. I think the pictures are cleaner than the EX3 but have not had enough experience with it yet in all sorts of light to be able to confirm that.

Andy, what is the build quality like? I've read that it has a magnesium alloy body? I may borrow one from Sony to evaluate in the next few weeks.

Build quality is really excellent.

Reminds me of a Sony PD150 - but much smarter looking! Some plastic parts (like the handle). Much better built than my old EX3.

Added some information about how to fit the DM Accessories 200-Flat shoe plate (which is actually made for the PMW-200) so that it will sit flat on the PMW-300. Also, a picture of the end result and a few other little updates. See original link.

Great review Andy, too bad about the plastic handle though. I'm going to borrow one from Sony soon, I hope. Now if the Sony implemented a Super 35mm sensor upfront, with a FZ mount, at the same price, I would definitely buy in to another 1080p camera.

Hi Jack, plastic looks pretty rugged to me in all the important places where it's used so I'm calm about that aspect. Regarding your other point, I think the nearest Sony has to that is called the F5 - and of course that is a lot more expensive than the PMW-300!

Just bought one! Very excited to have this new camera in my kit. I am interested in the CBK-WA100 Wireless Adapter eventually but can't seem to find a North American price for it anywhere.

Just got my hands on Sony PMW300. Does anyone know of a way for her NOT to record more than two audio channels? Some kind of service menu or smthg?

I don't use Final Cut Pro X, but with Premiere it literally takes 10 seconds to strip off any unwanted channels from all the imported clips in one simple menu command. Very handy, especially for those times when you don't want any audio at all from the clips.

Thanks Andy for your review.

My PMW 300k1 arrived.
As the Sony engenees were not able to construct a proper shoulder solution (the shoulder solution on the 300 is nothing...an in my opinion bad constructed)...third party-devices have to help. Do you have a proper solution to wook good on shoulder. ?

Nipros is expensive, maybe VOCAS seems to be ok. Do you have a experiance ? Can Vocas be far pushed back to work proper. ?

Thanks for your infos
Klaus

I just bought a base plate from Shape,SHAPE V-Lock Quick Release Baseplate same baseplate as Shape's BP6000 but without handles. It is on sale at B&H for $599 and very close to the Vocas which I was also looking at. The issue withthe PMW300K1 is it fits nicely on the shoulder with this or any similar plate but the EVF does not extend far enough to the front of the camera. I am looking for someone to make an extension for it. Wooden Camera? With the EVF out front by about two inches max it will sit very nicely on the shoulder. LOVE the images from this camera! Like having a V-Lock mount as well.
I also want to say Thanks to Andy for a great page on the PMW300K1.

Last edited:
Thanks to you both for comments on my initial impressions post. I had hoped to have had time to update if further but have been incredibly busy with client work - and then a death in my wife's family ate what little other time I have had in the last few weeks.

I am still very much enjoying the picture quality my PMW-300 is delivering - definitely cleaner than I used to get with the EX3. Perhaps more importantly, my clients seem pretty happy too!

I tend to now agree that the shoulder pad design is pretty naff, sure better than on the EX, but still not good enough for "any serious use at all". Very interested in what solutions people try. I have not had any spare time to look into it personally yet.

Thanks Brian,
Vocas and shape will not be a solution, if the EVF of the 300 cant get in a far right front position....I only can say to Sony-again not well done and not listended what users want.

Brian may i please you to post if you found a solution. I will do the same.
Thanks for yr comments
Klaus

Back