Slow Zoom Sputter? Anyone?

Chadfish

Hi

I remember a guy with an EX3 I believe, who complained of a sputtering that happened when zooming at the slowest speeds using the zoom rocker. Well, I too have been experiencing this. When I engage the zoom rocker at the slowest speed it stops and starts even though I am sure I am not rocking the rocker to the off position. Quite annoying! I believe this wasn't happening for the first month or two of ownership, though I am not sure.

One possibility is that I have knocked my lens zoom ring a little here and there (the one with the thumb screw sticking out) with the zoom still switched in "servo" mode. And I had tried to move it a little, not knowing about the switch in the bottom. I did not force it, I just tried it and noticed it didn't want to move so I left it alone.

Anyway, I wonder if this sputtering might be overcome by using something like a varizoom unit, bypassing the on-cam zoom controls. Where you use a dial to engage the zoom speed.

Has anyone notices a sputtering at the slowest zoom speed?

Thanks

Chadfish

I realize everyone's all a twitter about the possible new EX camera, but has anyone had this slow zoom sputter?

Yes, well known problem--hit or miss fix with Sony repairs/replacement as they claim it is not really a problem and isn't suppose to work well below "10" speed. If you're out of warranty, they'll replace the lens for $1700 and it may or may not work better below "10." Mine sputter below 5, so I can live with it.

Yes I just happened to read through that last night. Now I'm not so sure I want to sell my 2nd EX1 for an EX1R. The 2nd EX1 that I won in the Kata contest has not exhibited the slow zoom sputter, though I have not used it too much. Perhaps having a properly working lens zoom would be more important than a better viewfinder, hand grip, dedicated slow-mo button, HDMI, etc. But if the zooms go bad after a while anyway maybe I should proceed with going for the R model. Oh Sony....

Back