Dropped EX1 repair

EC Junior

DVXUser Sponsor
So far we had 3 customers that have either dropped their EX1/EX3s from tripods or had someone sit on one.

This one was a bad one.
Look at what our technicians have to deal with. It's like building a camera :crybaby:.

ex1-repair.jpg

ex1-repair2.jpg

ex1-repair3.jpg

Just wanted to share with everyone.

my HVX fell from a fully extended tripod cause some kid fumbled with the lock, landed on the battery and made a dent into the battery, plus scratched the P2 door. thats ALL !

I picked it up and EVERYTHING works !! I had it checked: no problems!
:thumbup:

We did the repairs on the Cameras from Deadliest Catch. We ended up also cleaning fish guts and salt water out of the boards :grin:

$750 aint bad for the parts tho

I always figured that a good chunk of the production budget for that show HAD to be eaten up by either camera repairs or replacements.

My EX1R was brushed out of a bag on a table onto a concrete studio floor. Accident.

It continued to work well for 7 months - though you did need to squeeze the top towards the bottom in order to eject a card.

Finally, it was obvious that I really did have to get it repaired.

Cost £3500 +VAT - no, the insurance company didn't write it off, and no - the excess and the cost of the shipping, the initial engineer's report and the subsequent return to check the audio and the lens alignment was NOT covered (extra £500). Chassis was bent, repair company said to replace the lens assembly - I think the zoom and focus was better in the old assembly over the new version.

Not all authorised repairs by a reputable house have a happy progress or a happy ending.

Don't drop your camera.

I fixed my EX1 on my kitchen table. PA had tripped a cord, damaging the component out port, and over time the top handle had a stress fracture from heavy hot shoe mounting.

Parts were under $300, orderable direct from Sony. Most of the cost was the handle - the component circuit board was only about $50.

Thanks EC. Have great respect for the people who can repair these. Dropped my EX1 too a while back...onto concrete!! Fortunately only a ribbon cable came loose inside. Tough little camera.

Parts were under $300, orderable direct from Sony.

Or EX1R recently developed the dreaded focus issue that many of these cams seem to have (it will not focus on wide shots). Sony's estimate to fix it: $2200. Where site did you order your parts? EX1R's lens part number: A1759650B ($1400). Thanks

Back