F5: Anyone else have issues with Rokinon FE 50mm auto focus lens?

BrianMurphy

So I bought an FS 5 MK2 because I needed a camera of this ilk for a project I am working on. My order for the FX6 will not be fulfilled until the end of October according to my local Sony dealer.
I have been using my A7iiis for most of my work and I bought full frame glass with the "next camera" in mind. Among the lenses I bought are the Rokinon AF 50 1.4 FE and the AF 14 2.8 FE. Both work in autofocus mode on my A7iiis and my A6400. They do not work in auto focus of any sort on my FS5 MK2 but I can focus with the ring and adjust the iris with the camera controls. I have the Rokinon lens station, the lenses which are hardly used, maybe three of four times out of the sac and the firmware is uptodate. I had planned on buying the 35mm but ......
At this point I am concerned they won't work on the FX6 either, and I am considering just selling them and buying a Sigma 24-70mm and carrying less glass.
Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
FS5 I/II never received Sony's updated AI auto-focus so it's most likely the camera (old, picky technology) and also the lens manufacturer not bothering to support it.

This is not uncommon as several companies provide support lists for third-party glass compatibility (Blackmagic/RED/etc).

Most of the time people rely on YouTube and forum members to let them know about lenses and if they work with certain systems, and if anything doesn't (like IS or AF or an aperture ring/etc).

From what I know, the Rokinon 50 autofocus will work on the FX6. But supposedly the autofocus of that lens is irredeemably bad, much worse than all their subsequent lens releases. I think its firmware has been updated over 30 times and it still sucks. (Most of their other lenses only get about 4 generations of firmware.)

FWIW, I have the sigma 24-70 FE and I think it's a great lens. I have the samyang 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 as well and their AF is not as good

Well Abe, I sold the two Rokinon lenses for about fifty bucks less than they are now selling for at B&H. I bought the 24-70 Sigma and you are right it is a great lens and an amazing price compared to the Sony which I also tried at the dealer. So thanks! Cheers
Brian

Well Abe, I sold the two Rokinon lenses for about fifty bucks less than they are now selling for at B&H. I bought the 24-70 Sigma and you are right it is a great lens and an amazing price compared to the Sony which I also tried at the dealer. So thanks! Cheers
Brian

Awesome - I really like the sigma 24-70. It's pretty, it's sharp, the autofocus is very good. The only issue I've had is that it seems to suck a bit more dust into the lens through the telescoping zoom barrel than other telescoping zooms I've had. Not a huge deal, but maybe something to look out for

Thanks for the tip regarding dust. Have to say I am very impressed with the autofocus. Images look great on the A7iii full Frame and FS5 Mk2. Cheers!

Back