F3: Please recommend 10x (or more) zoom lens for Sony PMW-F3

basil_555

I'm looking for a zoom lens for my Sony PMW-F3. Currently, I have Sigma 24-70 2.8, but it doesn't have a long reach. What lens would you recommend? Sony SCL-Z18X140 is out of the question because it is too expensive.

Thanks.

If the used Sony above is too expensive, your only options are still lenses, which you won't be able to control the aperture on unless your adapter has electronic control. Which mount are you currently using? Or maybe there are some vintage zooms with an aperture ring, like from Nikon.

Every company has a 70-200mm...the famous Canon f/4 version is like $300 on eBay if you can adapt it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/canon_2578a002_ef_70_200mm_f_4l_usm.html

Anything after 200mm usually becomes a slow and variable super-zoom.

If the used Sony above is too expensive, your only options are still lenses, which you won't be able to control the aperture on unless your adapter has electronic control. Which mount are you currently using? Or maybe there are some vintage zooms with an aperture ring, like from Nikon.

Every company has a 70-200mm...the famous Canon f/4 version is like $300 on eBay if you can adapt it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-USA/canon_2578a002_ef_70_200mm_f_4l_usm.html

Anything after 200mm usually becomes a slow and variable super-zoom.

I'm using a Nikon mount.

Check out this page...I filtered all of the decent range zoom lenses B&H has for sale with a Nikon mount for less than $600.

That's probably all if not most of the lenses available on the market besides very vintage/discontinued options.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mm|70-300mm,fct_zooms-primes_5903:zoom-lenses

If you're asking for specific opinions about handling or sharpness or various lens characteristics then share your budget...

Or maybe you can purchase another adapter and get the Canon which is beloved and will be better than most of those lenses above when comparing prices:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...s_snyf3_p_iris_canon_eos_ef_ef_s_adapter.html

As a long time fan of manual nikkors.

50-300 is a legend

28-85 is useful

but for something that gives a wide FOV on an S35 sensor is a zoom you really are in a pretty big hole.

Sigma 17-70??

Thank you for your advices! I need a lens that starts somewhere around 20mm and ends on 200mm or so. I need a longer reach for shooting theatrical performances.

Those are super zooms in which case it doesn't matter too much which one you get as they are all fairly mediocre:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mm|24-120mm,fct_zooms-primes_5903:zoom-lenses

However, the way I see it is like this:

If you're definitely going to compromise on having a lens with that kind of range (totally valid) then why not spend a tiny bit more and get Nikon's 18-300mm for that extra reach?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045736-GREY/nikon_2216_af_s_dx_18_300mm_f_3_5_5_6g.html

I know there's a hefty difference between the $200 Tamron 18-200mm on that list and the $700 Nikon, but I think a little more happiness can be bought.

Those are super zooms in which case it doesn't matter too much which one you get as they are all fairly mediocre:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...mm|24-120mm,fct_zooms-primes_5903:zoom-lenses

However, the way I see it is like this:

If you're definitely going to compromise on having a lens with that kind of range (totally valid) then why not spend a tiny bit more and get Nikon's 18-300mm for that extra reach?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1045736-GREY/nikon_2216_af_s_dx_18_300mm_f_3_5_5_6g.html

I know there's a hefty difference between the $200 Tamron 18-200mm on that list and the $700 Nikon, but I think a little more happiness can be bought.

I see this Nikon is a DX lens. Is it ok to use it with S35 sensor?

Thank you for your advices! I need a lens that starts somewhere around 20mm and ends on 200mm or so. I need a longer reach for shooting theatrical performances.

For that kind of shooting is shallow DoF desirable? And obviously you're not shooting 4K or LOG with an F3. So I'd say that the F3 is probably the wrong camera for the job. A camcorder with a fixed 12x or 17x servo zoom lens or the ability to mount a broadcast-quality 1/2" or 2/3" ENG lens would be a far better choice for theatrical performances. There are some great deals to be had on used HD cameras and lenses. You are never going to find a decent 10x lens for the F3 that doesn't cost a fortune and/or weigh several times more than the camera itself.

DX and S35 is fine.

What you must consider is if you can adust the iris. I think this is possible on a 'no iris wheel nikon mount lens' with the correct adapter.

Iris wheel DX superzooms I think are thin on the ground.

Did redrock do something to adjuat canon lenses iris. You may need to swap to that .. but my memory is thin of this product which was overpriced at the time. (2012?)

For theatre the manual 50-300 (nikkor or canon FD) might be good and you might just be best do do the wide with another camera!

I used to use my fs7 and 50-300 with a GH4 and 12mm prime as a sister! (12mm mft = 24 =ff35 or 18 s35??)

Dougs advice to 'buy a video camera' has merit..

But 50-300 F3 12mm gh4 will be far more pretty to look at (in my opinion)

Maybe, but that's only 6x. The the title of this thread is that he needs a 10x. Big difference between those two numbers, so something has to give.
You know the old saying that you can have something fast, cheap, or good, but you can't have all three at the same time. Somehow a variation of that idea fits here.

Dougs advice to 'buy a video camera' has merit..

But 50-300 F3 12mm gh4 will be far more pretty to look at (in my opinion)

Yes! This is why I'm sticking to F3. I know that a camcorder would be more useful in this situation. But it will not give me the quality of F3.

For that kind of shooting is shallow DoF desirable? And obviously you're not shooting 4K or LOG with an F3. So I'd say that the F3 is probably the wrong camera for the job. A camcorder with a fixed 12x or 17x servo zoom lens or the ability to mount a broadcast-quality 1/2" or 2/3" ENG lens would be a far better choice for theatrical performances. There are some great deals to be had on used HD cameras and lenses. You are never going to find a decent 10x lens for the F3 that doesn't cost a fortune and/or weigh several times more than the camera itself.

Doug, I'm using F3 with the amazing picture profiles from your "Mastering Sony PMW-F3" training course. And this is another reason why it is so hard for me to switch to any other camera :)

Doug, I'm using F3 with the amazing picture profiles from your "Mastering Sony PMW-F3" training course. And this is another reason why it is so hard for me to switch to any other camera :)

Ha, ha. Yeah, the F3 is a great looking camera even today. BUT . . . if I was in your shoes I'd sacrifice a little image quality for the sake of a better zoom range and faster f-stop. A Z280 might be out of your price range, but I would bet it could beat the F3 with a mediocre lens. That would be especially true if the theatrical productions have low-light levels. Not only is the Z280 one of best low-light cameras I've used, the 17x f/1.9 lens is going to run circles around an inexpensive SLR lens. I'm just throwing stuff out to think about. Obviously only you can decide what is going to work best.

D
I would suggest that the F3 with the 50-300 ED will look amazing .. its not a cheap lens - well it is but new it was not.. its top of the game (in 1985!) http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/zoomsMF/50300mmED.htm

A panny Gh4/12mm can still record a wide while you swing the telephoto giving one much needed coverage.

Id go with that pair for theatre any time over a singe 'camcorder'

One disadvantage of that specific zoom is a lack of close focus.. theatres or conferences (remember them?) is where it shines.

I still use my ex1 so Im not specifically anti camcorder!

--

As a side note I bumped my nikkor zoom and dinged the rear - what an idiot - Nikon Kingston were able to provide me with spare parts - impressive as the lens is only slightly yourger than me. 1977. No wonder they never make a profit with a spares inventory like that!

Last edited:
D
I would suggest that the F3 with the 50-300 ED will look amazing

Well, I've never used that lens before so I'll take your word for it. But f/4.5?? Indoors on an F3 cannot be an ideal situation. Plus, as you say, another camera will be needed for the wide shots because 50mm on an S35 might only cover half the stage. Thst is another expense with additional hassle to match cameras if it is not also an F3, more power, more cards, more data to ingest and backup, more time syncing and editing, etc. All in all, I will stand by my recommendation to use a different camera so that a proper lens can be used. Even your old EX1 might do a better job in the big scheme of things. :)

Plus with a 4K camera, such as the Z280 or a Z150, you can shoot 4K and that gives you even more wiggle room in post to re-frame and zoom in farther.

I think this will boil down to the taste and the production.

I would struggle to cover a theatre with a single cam. My minimum would probably be two 50-300 (70-200?) and and a static wide.

One zoom lens sounds a bit sicky and with no coverage operation needs to be perfect.

WHat I would say is the 50-300 is a proper lens with some of the feel of a cine zoom lens and its purchase cannot be a waste of money - they are probably inflating liek Canon FD who also do a 50-300 but it might not fit the F3.

Going down the plastic fantastic world of early AF 28-200 tokina superzooms ends you with a cupboard of trash.

So I would say..
1) get a video camera
or
2) do 2 cams one of which could certainly be an F3 and 50-300

Each solution is good.

a 28-200 tokina will be a let down
an arri alura zoom is not affordable
a 2/3 lens and $1000 adapter might work but is unlikeley to be in budget.

Nikon do a manual 100-300 (5.6) zoom which can be had for $25. It is more than OK if funds are minimal.

So I would say..
1) get a video camera
or
2) do 2 cams one of which could certainly be an F3 and 50-300

Each solution is good.

I would tend to agree, but I'd want to make sure that the f/4.5 50-300 was fast enough for the theater lighting on that camera. The F3 is not a camera that you want to be boosting the gain on.

Back