Other: The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Auto focus is only good enough for human faces unless you use touch tracking. And even when shooting faces, you're gonna want to tap on one face vs. another. Trust me, you're going to want to be able to use touch-tracking.

Zacuto has an optional battery that connects to the side of the EVF so it is basically the same as internal power. Here's the Kameleon version. There is also one for Gratical.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...o_z_kbp_kameleon_evf_lithium_ion_battery.html

I mostly only do handheld shooting and with the lack of IBIS you really do want OSS lens. They really make a difference though it is no replacement for improving technique.

In looking at Sony mid range zooms with OSS, you have a few options (but they are all F4). If you also want PZ and OSS there is only one such lens (the 28-135) but it is big. It's my personal favorite though. I also have the ZA16-35 and the 100-400 (plus 2x extender) for wider or tighter shots (both of which are OSS) but handholding the tele is not that practicable.

Looking at the latest lens releases from Sony they seem to be designing for IBIS these days as none seem to get OSS outside the teles. This is unfortunate as the newer 16-35 PZ (or US$6K C 16-35) would have been a great lens for the FX6.... if it had OSS.

I'm always surprised at how many people gush about how they love their 28-135 f4 Sony lens. Granted it has great features at a superb price, and I use it often for those features, but honestly it is a POS lens. I've looked carefully at many of them . At least half of them are misadjusted right out the factory so they are not actually parfocal but amazingly virtually no one I know bothers to check them . That's probably because misadjustment on an F4 lens is not always obvious even on a 17" monitor though it will be painfully obvious with red peaking on in the EVF when in 4x's mode. Maybe most young guys never learned to back focus lenses like us dinosaurs in the B4 video days. I've also seen striking sharpness differences at different focal lengths. Always different BTW . Mine is good till 135 when it gets soft. My friends is sharper at 135 but falls apart when its wider. At any focal length its just never a particularly sharp lens. I've taken to upping my camera sharpness when using it . If I can shoot at S35 with an 18-110 I'll also do that . Its sharper even after the increased sharpness of full frame on the 28-135. There's a reason why the 18-110 is $1000 more - its just a better lens. Too bad Sony never bothered to come out with an improved version . Its selling so why bother.

I'm always surprised at how many people gush about how they love their 28-135 f4 Sony lens.

Agreed. That lens is squarely aimed at institutional customers, like schools, government, military, and places like that were the operators don't know any more about decent lenses than they do about their camera. It is a one-size fits all kind of lens for people who don't care that much about image quality.

For corporate stuff it works great and makes shooting days easy. I have countless excellent footage in various light conditions with mine.

I use it often as well , as the features are fabulous. I just wish it was sharper and not so commonly misadjusted. I don't think many corporate clients actually look at footage on a large monitor so many faults remain hidden.That's great for us though. Nevertheless I am amazed at how few people have ever really checked to make sure they held focus through the zoom, or expect that its supposed to - which it is. I know a lot of shooters but absolutely none who even bothered to check - something you would do first thing in the morning with a traditional 2/3" B4 camera. I wasn't kidding when I said 50% were off and I've even had them come back from Sony repair misadjusted - worse than when they went there. Glad you've had good luck though.

Last edited:
+2 on 28-135. It's not that sharp but in most situations and with good lighting it performs well. For the length, cost, usability and weight it does the job. No issues with parfocus here.

I'm always surprised at how many people gush about how they love their 28-135 f4 Sony lens. Granted it has great features at a superb price, and I use it often for those features, but honestly it is a POS lens. I've looked carefully at many of them . At least half of them are misadjusted right out the factory so they are not actually parfocal but amazingly virtually no one I know bothers to check them . That's probably because misadjustment on an F4 lens is not always obvious even on a 17" monitor though it will be painfully obvious with red peaking on in the EVF when in 4x's mode. Maybe most young guys never learned to back focus lenses like us dinosaurs in the B4 video days. I've also seen striking sharpness differences at different focal lengths. Always different BTW . Mine is good till 135 when it gets soft. My friends is sharper at 135 but falls apart when its wider. At any focal length its just never a particularly sharp lens. I've taken to upping my camera sharpness when using it . If I can shoot at S35 with an 18-110 I'll also do that . Its sharper even after the increased sharpness of full frame on the 28-135. There's a reason why the 18-110 is $1000 more - its just a better lens. Too bad Sony never bothered to come out with an improved version . Its selling so why bother.

Just checking there's no way of adjusting FX6 Detail/Sharpness when in Cine EI, right? Thanks.

Its not available on the FX9 . I hadn't even checked befor- thanks for the heads up. That's too bad as it screws with my intended strategy for the 28-135. i hadn't gotten to testing yet , but that means I'd have to shoot Slog in SDR mode. Not impossible but something I need to get used to . My odyssey has Lut's and gamma assist follows with gain increases so it may not be a big deal. .I'll have to shoot some tests. I don't know if you have the same settings in FX6 as it may be more like an A7?

Does anyone know if "matrix" should be on or off in Slog3 if you're not using Cine EI? . I'm guessing off, but that's one more thing to double check. AZlso what color space are you in if you're using Slog3 in SDR mode.

Last edited:
So my SWIT LB-SU90C just arrived:
- It is a bit larger than a BP-60U (and twice the BP-U35)
- It can change on both a std BP-U charger (co-incidentally I happen to have the SWIT one anyway) and also D-Tap or USB-C (which I'm using now)
- Also can power both D-Tap and USB devices.

Lets see how it goes.

Attachments

• Swit SU90C.jpg
    Swit SU90C.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Forgot to post my reaction.... as there was none. It just worked. Doug had me thinking... I should have waited to get the one with Ai in it.

All the posts with S&Q, cropping etc gave me something to do while I kept an eye on the pizza oven we were firing up for the first time in years. It will probably take a day for Youtube to put up the HDR version, but here is a set of 5sec sample of what S&Q looks like at 1/2/5/25/50/100fps of the fire. FX6 S&Q at Various Frame Rates (UHD HDR 50fps) - YouTube

Nothing special but it is a good quick card to see the various effects that S&Q can give. I've put the settings I used in the description.

The Anglebird 1TB CFExpress Type A card arrived. It works, It's Fast, It's 1TB! and a fraction of the price of the Sony's. Getting another one and retiring the V90 SD Cards. I got it directly from Anglebird in EU and received it in about a Week to Oz.

Attachments

• ABSpeed.jpg
    ABSpeed.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Another loather of the 28-135. I have noticed that it becomes soft as you zoom it out, and there’s no backfocus adjustment since it’s faking it electronically. So you end up zooming and focusing (which is a slow process) and when you zoom out it’s not truly parfocal. I’ve actually considered just using the Fuji 18-55 in S35 or even clear image zooming in 4K as I think it would still be sharper.

Don't quote me or hold me to this (or go telling the YT content creators)... but using the 18 - 110 Sony lens with CIZ on a full frame (I've done this on the a7sIII not any other Sony cam) sensor gives you roughly 25 - 154mm (1.4 crop in to avoid vignetting) and I think most everyone will agree that lens, while still not sexy, is parfocal and decently sharp all the way thru the zoom range (at least mine is).

I just want a modern PZ OSS lens (Sony or 3rd Party).

Yes, me too. Something wider than 28. For me, could be a two lens set like the recent Angenieux Optimos - 21-56mm and 37-102mm. Though I appreciate a single lens with a decent range would fill a more obvious gap (I’d probably buy it as well).

Back