FS7: FS7 + PIX-E5 + Timecode?

joshtreepark

Hi, I'm in a market to purchase an external recorder. I'm highly disappointed at the cost/quality I can get from XDCA extension unit but I still need timecode in to my FS7 MK2.

I'm thinking of doing 4K ProRes recording with proper timecode jam. I want to look into getting a PIX-E5 recorder since it's been known to take timecode signal using 3.5mm jack. Has anyone tried to use the FS7 with E5 monitor and have successfully jammed timecode from the monitor?

Last edited:
Three reasons -
1. Some of my clients want to use ProRes.
2. I need a 5 inch external monitor.
3. I also want to deliver footage with a proper timecode jam without having to buy XDCA unit.

When I spoke with Sound devices folks, they know in theory it is a possibility but can't confirm in practice.

Three reasons -
1. Some of my clients want to use ProRes.
2. I need a 5 inch external monitor.
3. I also want to deliver footage with a proper timecode jam without having to buy XDCA unit.

When I spoke with Sound devices folks, they know in theory it is a possibility but can't confirm in practice.

Not 100% able to answer your question, but I have used a PIX 240 recorder and the fs700 camera and was in fact able to jam timecode through the recorder.

I know this isn't the same, but it puts hope on your side.

Also, just buy the XDCA - it sucks that it's 2k, maybe a used one is available... I can say that i've never once regretted the purchase. V mount batteries and timecode in are two key parts of many of my shoot days.

My understanding is that it will only do TC out, not TC in. It will take TC from a camera as a part of SDI or HDMI signal but it needs to be fed with it constantly. From SD user manual: "Because the monitor does not include an internal, jammable, free-running generator, it is recommended that the camera utilizes a suitable timecode generator for applications requiring a high level of accuracy."

Back