F5: Don't Use an Aftermarket VF on F5/F55

Dino

Yesterday, a friend brought over his F5 for me to check out. He opted to buy an Alphatron VF over a Sony VF save money. This was a mistake, I fear. When I fired up the camera, it never went beyond the Sony splash screen on the body side status display. The HDMI out wasn't active, HD-SDI out 1 was active, but clean, HD-SDI 2 was not active. I naturally tried to get into the menus by pushing the menu button, with no luck. Spent time reading the manual and was stumped as to how to make the status screen active or see status overlay on an output. Happily, forum member Nate Weaver saw my Tweets looking for help and clued me into the need to address time/date, but the prompt can only be seen on a Sony VF or HD-SDI 3 sub out. I hadn't checked the latter, my bad. So, finally, I was able to get into the menus, see all on a display monitor and status display.

Problem is, I now realize that the F5 has no waveform at all, no zebra output on HDMI or HD-SDI, have to expand focus with EVF, not camera user button, unless using a Sony VF. So, using an Alphatron or similar EVF, I have no idea how one would expose an image properly.

The other issues I have with the camera(which I think looks fantastic in low noise, sensitivity, DR, resolution), is how difficult it is to do an auto white balance. I know you can change degrees Kelvin easily from the status display, but can't seem to do an auto white balance without going into menus. Am I missing something? I think the status display menu item access is great(much like an Alexa), but I've never had to jump through so many hoops to do an auto white.

As a C300 owner, I see all kinds of great features that the F5 offers over the Canon--love the paint box capability, especially that an RM-B170 is only $1500. Flare control, shading, better multi-matrix(but user matrix isn't enabled yet?), great gamma options, very thorough detail circuit that I would be unlikely to use at all. Of course much superior codec options and high speed frame rates(1080/60P now, 120fps over 24p in the fall), more lens mount flexibility, better VF, more HD-SDI outputs, zebras that go below 70IRE. But, lack of scopes, larger/heavier size, big, expensive batteries/chargers and proprietary media, plus high cost of all gives me pause. I think the F5 could have a good shelf life, whereas the C300 was limited out of the gate, but I like the simplicity of the C300, albeit with its many limitations. Great to have so many choices, NAB should be interesting. Sony looks like it has a couple of winners, and the cameras are the worst they will ever by right now.

Problem is, I now realize that the F5 has no waveform at all, no zebra output on HDMI or HD-SDI, have to expand focus with EVF, not camera user button, unless using a Sony VF. So, using an Alphatron or similar EVF, I have no idea how one would expose an image properly.

And this is why when I pick up my F5 tmrw Im not buying any Sony EVF. Until Sony has proper exposure tools activated in the camera/EVF like Spot meter, Zebra's that go below 50 IRE and fingers crossed a waveform, they are out of their minds if they think Im giving them $3,300 for their EVF, I dont care how good the screen looks. Until then, Im going to use my $700 crappy low res Zacuto EVF that has false color, zebras that go down to 30 and up to 109, etc etc.

Abel is setting it up with their Sony viewfinder so no worries on setting the date, etc.

*Oh yeah, did ya try adjusting audio levels from the outside of the camera?

Alphatron has zebras built-in? That would be a good thing! Audio pots on the F5 body? I don't even remember seeing any! Didn't even have time to deal with audio since I lost so much time just trying to get the camera to do a full boot up. I have to say that I'm shocked that Sony doesn't put a waveform into the F5 or F55. Seems bizarre to me. Couldn't figure out how to get HD-SDI 2 and 4 to output a signal either. Camera has some quirks, but so much potential, as long as Sony keeps developing it!

Alphatron EVF has all the features you would need to expose properly. Zebras, color mode exposure. Also they might add waveform in firmware upgrade.

Strange, I didn't see Zebras in the Alphatron menus. Waveform would be fantastic, and since it's a TV Logic display, should be doable.

Hi Dino

Could you confirm please that the HD-SDI 3 has full output (with menus and date setting) when the camera out of the box ?

I will buy it without sony VF I will use my small hd ac7 .
Thank you

I almost went with Alpha EVF to save money over the OLED VF but in the end bit the bullet so I wouldn't have any regrets. It was mostly the whole power thing and cable management that had me stuck.

Anyway the OLED VF is very amazing now that I've had a chance to see it in action.

Hi Dino

Could you confirm please that the HD-SDI 3 has full output (with menus and date setting) when the camera out of the box ?

I will buy it without sony VF I will use my small hd ac7 .
Thank you

Yes, HD-SDI sub 3 has full status, menus and the all important time/date prompt on first boot up, which the dealer is supposed to address prior to delivery. I haven't figured out how to get video out of HD-SDI 2 or sub 4, as I didn't have enough time with the camera. HDMI was turned off out of the box.

Found the Alphatron zebras in the manual, I saw the Error menu page and thought it was just error check and false color, but it has zebras.(Didn't have enough time with the camera rig.) I now believe that an Alphatron can take the place of a Sony EVF nicely, and if they add a waveform, it will be superior in functionality to a Sony EVF. The TV Logic display looks quite good. All Alphatron owners should lobby Alphatron and TV Logic to add a waveform. The US distributor for TV Logic, PRECO.net, is fantastic and really listens to customers. Great people!

Found the Alphatron zebras in the manual, I saw the Error menu page and thought it was just error check and false color, but it has zebras.(Didn't have enough time with the camera rig.) I now believe that an Alphatron can take the place of a Sony EVF nicely, and if they add a waveform, it will be superior in functionality to a Sony EVF. The TV Logic display looks quite good. All Alphatron owners should lobby Alphatron and TV Logic to add a waveform. The US distributor for TV Logic, PRECO.net, is fantastic and really listens to customers. Great people!
Don't worry, I'm already on it! I'm trying to beat the waveform out of them as hard as I can! I was told there is an update coming and it should be interesting one, so I'm hoping for waveform! Meanwhile feel free to check out my Alphatron EVF In Depth Review which I just posted a couple hours ago! http://www.khachik-mkrtchyan.com/alphatron-evf-035w-in-depth-review/

3rd Party EVF WF options... SONY DVF options. As time marches on possible firmware updates may reveal new things... We don't know exactly when, we don't know exactly what but new options will likely come.

There are reasons to choose 3rd party EVF units, there are reasons to choose SONY DVF units to use with these cameras. Think through all your uses, budgets and feature sets available now or potentially available in the near future... and select wisely after consultation...

3rd Party EVF WF options... SONY DVF options. As time marches on possible firmware updates may reveal new things... We don't know exactly when, we don't know exactly what but new options will likely come.

There are reasons to choose 3rd party EVF units, there are reasons to choose SONY DVF units to use with these cameras. Think through all your uses, budgets and feature sets available now or potentially available in the near future... and select wisely after consultation...
Very well said sir!

Back