F3 or else

If I can sell my EX3 I will get one for sure.

While selling the F3 may be an economic necessity, I think an EX1/3 will be a perfect compliment to an F3. A big sensor is hard to keep things in focus for fast paced shooting unless you stop down so far that a) you've lost a lot of light and b) it causes an overall lack of focus (diffraction?)

The right tool for the right job and all that.

I love my EX3. I can still use a remote zoom controller and auto focus while on a glidecam at the same time with the EX3. Try doing that with F3.

I love my EX3. I can still use a remote zoom controller and auto focus while on a glidecam at the same time with the EX3. Try doing that with F3.

Its called a focus puller and a bartek wireless follow focus w/ Focus and Zoom motors. ;)

granted its free on the EX3.

you know what, why buy when you can rent, if you are so uncertain with the fact that the F3 is not a complete camera, every cameras have flaws. The only things I try to own now are a good base plate, matte box, follow focus, monitor, tripod, fliters and lenses.

Today's camera is tomorrows history . There will be always be a better camera coming out tomorrow. I once met the GM of Cooke lens (England) at IBC. He told me, "Young man, I won't spend so much $ on a camera. Save your $ and get a good lens. Rent it out and you will make more $ then if you ever own a camera."

Last edited:
you know what, why buy when you can rent, if you are so uncertain with the fact that the F3 is not a complete camera, every cameras have flaws. The only things I try to own now are a good base plate, matte box, follow focus, monitor, tripod, fliters and lenses.

Today's camera is tomorrows history . There will be always be a better camera coming out tomorrow. I once met the GM of Cooke lens (England) at IBC. He told me, "Young man, I won't spend so much $ on a camera. Save your $ and get a good lens. Rent it out and you will make more $ then if you ever own a camera."

Sound advice... If you are not a rental company!

Timur will answer I'm sure, but IMHO its purpose built to avoid moire, aliasing, and skew/jello. Plus XLR for sound, controls, etc.

All in all its much more reliable and easier to use for professional work. No one paying thousands for actors, sets, props, etc wants to get to the edit bay with one of 'oh $hit' moments when the camera barfed all over the footage.

IMO the AF is far closer to the F3 than a 7D.

Let's make a scale between the 7d and the Alexa.

7D Being 1 alexa being 10. The af100 is a 6 the f3 is a 8.9.

Qftmft.

Of course, it's worth mentioning that if we were all out shooting something right now instead of bickering on here, we'd experience a lot more glee from sharing beautiful images! AF100, Red, F3, 5D, 7D, GH2...any WELL shot production with any of them can create stories that will thrill and amaze audiences! Very little we type here will change the world.

Well stated!

Back