Odyssey 7Q disassembly

basil_555

Any hints on how to disassemble the unit? One of he BNC jacks is failing and I need to take a look at it. I unscrewed all the screws on the back but it doesn't open.

Search for various manuals online (if applicable) and YouTube videos in which people are doing the same - which you might be able to learn from or can at least try and contact them for any advice.

I’d say maybe reach out to CD as well, but they probably don’t want to hear about the thing anymore.

If all of the screws are removed - and there definitely is no more - try splitting the plastic sides apart where there are grooves or opportune areas to do so. (A lot of electronics are secured like this with or without pins and holes.)

Just reach out to Convergent Design. They're super helpful, I'm sure they'll be happy to talk you through the process.

You're going to have to reach out to CD. Fixing that BNC is almost certainly not resoldering the connector. It's going to be the SDI driver as well. Trust me I know.

You're going to have to reach out to CD. Fixing that BNC is almost certainly not resoldering the connector. It's going to be the SDI driver as well. Trust me I know.

Thank you! When the cable is connected to SDI A and I wiggle the cable (not the socket itself) the signal is dropped sometimes. I tried different cables. When I connect another cable to SDI B with a signal from another camera the problem worsens. Do you think its a socket or a driver? I should repeat that the signal is dropped only when the cable is connected and there is a feed from the camera.

I'm not an engineer so can't answer with great authority. But I can tell you that one problem we used to frequently see is someone used a cheap, non-spec SDI cable that had a connector with a center pin that was too large (out of spec). It spread out the little tube socket that pin is intended to go into on the Odyssey side, and when other cables were then plugged into the socket they would have no contact or intermittent contact. A pair of tweezers carefully usedto squeezed that tube back together fixed the issue.

It's also possible that your cables have pulled and twisted on the socket a lot over the years and the solder joints are coming loose, or perhaps something else is coming loose.good luck on fixing this yourself without damaging the unit.

the non spec sdi cable is co-ax cable from the tv shop - to spec - just a completely different one! pliers may crush the sdi pin middle back into place.

Thank you so much! Do you think it is best to replace the socket with the new one or the tweezers will fix the problem reliably?

Back