Re: Matte box...OUCH!!!!! (6x6 prices)

J.R. Hudson

Retired Moderator

I am always encouraged at the constant effort on the part of the industry aimed in fostering a creative and productive experience for the artist. One of my other hobbies is Oil Painting (canvas, not wall!) and it is the same thing. Supplies are expensive. There is a reason we say "Starving Artist". It's too bad, really. I wonder how many truly great artists out there that have never been given an opportuntiy to excel due to the high costs.

Case in point. And in going to filmschool, there is no guarantee that one will actually work in the biz. One can go to school for MEDICINE, LAW, BUSINESS, DESIGN and you are pretty much guaranteed you will work in that given industry.

Filmschool on the other hand does not guarantee shite. Of course, I'm one of those "Buy a DVX instead" kind of guys. You know, save the other 20k and make a freakin movie already.

That arri we used the Mattebox was just the beginning.. with the 6 stage filter box, truck plate, and cheese plates your looking at $10,000 CAD. Plus that thing weighed 20lbs all by itslelf.

John, I understand your point -- film school could well be a boondoggle, and is for many.

But I wouldn't be so sure about the "guarantee" to work in the industry of the other schools . . .

In any case, I agree with you. Go make a movie. It's the best film school you could possibly have.

I hate film school.

Back