LitePanels? (I'm clueless)

Tobus

I don't have any lights yet, so I've relied on normal in-home lights so far... buuuutt I think I'm getting some scholarships. Which.. I will spend.. on.. video equipment.

Litepanels look sweet, does anyone have experience with them?

I was thinking maybe a single lite kit with some sort of shoulder rest

and one of the attachable arms to mount the light on (my ME-66 is already mounted on top of my camera, I'm not sure how that would work)

Should I go a similar route, and if so, what should I get as a backlight? I'm clueless.

I guess I also need a boompole... I've just been winging it.

Unless they are making something I am not aware of These panels will be 5600 kelvin, (daylight temperature)

This brings up many factors about when these lights can be used. Correcting them brings up other issues.

Note that your video camera is made as to accept 3200 Kelvin (tungsten type lights). When you move the filter wheel to the daylight filter you are going to loose 2/3 to one full stop on your camera.

Sidney Tawl said:
Unless they are making something I am not aware of These panels will be 5600 kelvin, (daylight temperature)

This brings up many factors about when these lights can be used. Correcting them brings up other issues.

Note that your video camera is made as to accept 3200 Kelvin (tungsten type lights). When you move the filter wheel to the daylight filter you are going to loose 2/3 to one full stop on your camera.

Um, no.

Lite panels come in both 3200K or 5600k.

The DVX and HVX aren't "made to accept 3200 Kelvin". When you WB to either light the camera will adjust.

And no you don't lose 2/3 to one full stop on your camera by balancing to daylight or tungsten.

Stop spreading misinformation.

mcgeedigital said:
The DVX and HVX aren't "made to accept 3200 Kelvin".
Well, yes, sort of they are. The CCDs are balanced towards 3200k.

When you WB to either light the camera will adjust.
This is true. But it does it by boosting the gain to the blue CCD, which can increase noise. That's why some people are finding it a little bit lower noise to use an optical 85 filter instead of just going with the blue preset.

And no you don't lose 2/3 to one full stop on your camera by balancing to daylight or tungsten.
With a DVX this is true, because it doesn't have a filter wheel, it only compensates electronically. Broadcast cameras have filter wheels with physical CTO filters in them, which do cut the light transmission by 2/3 of a stop.

As referencing the DVX though, this doesn't apply; the DVX is done all electronically.

I work at www.2nd-unit.tv Lightpanels is one of our sponsors and I have to say they work great! The people in the industry have nicknamed the small ones bricks! So you know they are catching on. Catch our latest show with a top Gaffer and a Key Grip! And see what they have to say about them. Let me know what you think.

Back