What are "lighting" pros called?

Phil

I need help with lighting. I'm not good with lighting and would like to find someone to help with my filming.

So I'll be looking for a film student or someone of the sort, but what do I put on the flyer?

Thanks
Phil

Re: What are "lighting" pros called?

check out
www.indieclub.com

You will find a directory of people in the film biz (maybe in your area) that have experience in what ever your looking for. You can even post a profile of yourself and what you have equipment wise and your experience. You may need to register to see the list of people...dont worry its free. But you should bookmark the site though.

In the US...the Gaffer is the chief of a film lighting crew and works under the direction of the Cinematographer.

A Lighting Director is also the chief of the lighting crew, but only on a television shoot (and typically only studio productions). When a production has a Lighting Director, the camera department works under the Lighting Director's direction.

In Theater, a Lighting Director designs the lighting for the set, as well as all of the lighting cues. Often times, the Lighting Director's job ends once the show is in production, with a cheaper Light Board Operator performing the cue changes during production.

To make things even more confusing, often times in Europe, the will call a cinematographer a "Lighting Cameraman".

[quote author=J_Barnes link=board=lighting;num=1095720416;start=0#5 date=09/21/04 at 08:33:29]In the US...the Gaffer is the chief of a film lighting crew and works under the direction of the Cinematographer.

A Lighting Director is also the chief of the lighting crew, but only on a television shoot (and typically only studio productions). When a production has a Lighting Director, the camera department works under the Lighting Director's direction.

In Theater, a Lighting Director designs the lighting for the set, as well as all of the lighting cues. Often times, the Lighting Director's job ends once the show is in production, with a cheaper Light Board Operator performing the cue changes during production.

To make things even more confusing, often times in Europe, the will call a cinematographer a "Lighting Cameraman".

[/quote]
Royal with Cheese...gotcha...And what do you call a Big Mac?
Thanks for the info.

But sometimes we just call them Barnes and Barry. ;)

A Cinematographer is also called the DP, in case you're wondering...

And DP stands for Director of Photography. ;)

Anyone wanna hit the trivia trail?

Whys a Gaffer is called a Gaffer? Or the origin of MOS?

Beats me,

especially because we don't call them gaffers over here... ;)

Hehe. Well, *supposedly*, the original gaffers were fishermen who used gaffs (kind of like a spear for getting fish on deck) to manipulate sailcloth above a set--the first "butterfly" used for diffusing direct sunlight. And there are any number of stories on the origin of MOS. The most popular being that it stands for "mit out sound", coined by German crew. Frankly, I think most of these stories are apocryphal.

[quote author=Barry_S link=board=lighting;num=1095720416;start=0#11 date=09/24/04 at 14:15:04]Hehe.  Well, *supposedly*, the original gaffers were fishermen who used gaffs (kind of like a spear for getting fish on deck) to manipulate sailcloth above a set--the first "butterfly" used for diffusing direct sunlight.  And there are any number of stories on the origin of MOS.  The most popular being that it stands for "mit out sound", coined by German crew.  Frankly, I think most of these stories are apocryphal.[/quote]

Really? Wow... I would have never guessed...

[quote author=TC link=board=lighting;num=1095720416;start=0#8 date=09/22/04 at 20:24:00]And DP stands for Director of Photography. ;)[/quote]

In the UK it is DOP. I had a guy correct me once because I was saying DP.

[quote author=Barry_S link=board=lighting;num=1095720416;start=0#11 date=09/24/04 at 14:15:04]Hehe.  Well, *supposedly*, the original gaffers were fishermen who used gaffs (kind of like a spear for getting fish on deck) to manipulate sailcloth above a set--the first "butterfly" used for diffusing direct sunlight.  And there are any number of stories on the origin of MOS.  The most popular being that it stands for "mit out sound", coined by German crew.  Frankly, I think most of these stories are apocryphal.[/quote]

I've heard a lot of different versions of the Gaffer story, most of them citing the "Gaffing Hook" or saying that gaffers were so named because they were hired from pools of out of work fishermen. The sailcloth/gaffer's hook combination seems to be the most truthful, but I'd like to know what an equivilant position might have been called in theater.

The worst explaination I've heard for MOS was that it stands for Mode Out Sound.

There were a number of german directors back in those times, but at the dawn of talkies, there wasn't a proponderance of german directors around anymore. While it might be true that the MOS comes from their broken english, it seems a little less likely when you consider how many american directors were working at the beginning of sound pictures.

Who knows really.

Also...found in the wikipedia:

In 16th Century English, the term "gaffer" denoted a man who was the head of any organized group of labourers, and the usage continues in colloquial English to this day as a synonym for "boss".

Back