color temp meter when doing green screen

edmessina

Here is a beguiling question. How useful has anyone found a color temperature meter when trying to match a subject shot on a green screen, to the intended background which will be added later? ;)

Re: color temp meter when doing green screen

As useful as a 1000 dollar Color Corrector... ;D ;D ;D

You don't need a color temperature meter. It will do little to help. If you have zebras in your camera they are going to do more than anything. A light meter also helps a great deal. If you can feed your edit system while you do the key that is even better. I have an article about chroma-keys on my website. Scroll down to the articles at the bottom:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/instruction.html

If you are worried about the background being one colour, and the subject another you can always match much closer in post. Before shooting the subject shoot a colour chart, or if you do not have one even a white card will help. Then you can match that white with any in the keyed backgroud in post by selecting the white witha eyedropper tool.

I think the doctor is asking about matching the foreground subject with the new background.
Ed
If your background plate is properly color balanced and your foreground subject is properly color balanced then you will be fine technically.
However, you should look at the background plate and study what the color temp as well as the quality of light is.
For instance, if you are shooting an outdoor scene then there will be blue sky light affecting the overall scene. You may want to add a tint of blue to your top lights and back lights to simulate this. If it is a night scene with sodium vapor lights then you might want an orange cast coming from the same general direction as the sodium vapor lights seen in the background plates.
Call me if you need more help at your studio.

Ed over in motown

Back