SMM mirror box

morgan_moore

Got a couple of jobs coming up where I want the speaker looking down the lens.

Came up with this. One can use with an ipad (or 7in monitor?) or flip it into 'eye direct' mode.

It has a 'design choice' in that most similar fold up (and are a mess of velcro) this is ridgid.

ANy major fails before I pull the trigger?

box.JPG

Nice - thanks for that link - really useful - gives me some hope.

-paul and others agree that standard offereings are wobble hell.

This is even smaller (mine presents about 300mmx300) and still works

its not cheap - showing there is some margin in DIY which is not always the case.

I thought about rod mount but think that will not be ideal = ill do something with arca plates.

Sam, I have a Vox Box Pro. It's versatile, super easy to set up, way better than eye direct. Set-up on rails or on a stand it's solid as a rock.

IMG_4525.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Last edited:
And..
IMG_3379.JPG

Of course the first job Im thinking that shooting 4k upright on the greenscreen to maximise quality hence upgraded to allow upright camera..

IMG_3380.JPG

So Ive been noodling with laptop with HDMI out and a 7in monitor in the 'box.

I wonder if people have good comment on laptop software .. and also how the image is flipped.

HDMI flippers are available

So Ive been noodling with laptop with HDMI out and a 7in monitor in the 'box.

I wonder if people have good comment on laptop software .. and also how the image is flipped.

HDMI flippers are available

I use an iPad on my Vox Box Pro with an app called PromtSmart Plus. You can control it with another iPad or an iPhone. Super easy.

Are you mimicking a vertical phone video with a FS7 ?

Is this the future, do we have to rotate our television sets too?

And what about cinema screens? Oh dear...

I use an iPad on my Vox Box Pro with an app called PromtSmart Plus. You can control it with another iPad or an iPhone. Super easy.

I will defo be checking out the iPad option(s) good to know where to start, thank you.

The thing is I have three 7in monitors mainly unused (DP1 and DP6) and no ipad. My monitors run from BPU which I have a stock of. Word is monitors are brighter and better in a studio lit environment - hence a desire for HDMI/Laptop solution.

On this BSL shoot there were some issues with ipad/phone synch and battery life - the kit was not mine so no bollocking for me - it was the directors.

https://cueprompter.com/ is where Im at at the moment for laptop/HDMI and with the DP6 (not as ideal as the DP1) I think I can run the monitor in mirror mode so that director (views laptop) and mirror box are viewable at the same time. I like it becuae you can run it a little fast and hold it back with the laptop space bar - big to slap while you are concentrating on the talent.

Maybe Im being a dinasaur.

Last edited:

Clearly this is a greenscreen shoot. Shooting landscape would just lose a load of pixels, so 4k upright is going to deliver good quality keyable file (the same as an 8-12k landscape camera)

The talent - BSL signer was used imposed over a landscape project.

I think a teleprompt system that can shoot upright is pretty rare (or unique) and would shoot an unusually high quality key friendly file.

Im being asked about live streaming (via this box)

Can anyone hint about live streaming with..

FS7, Z6, GH4 BMC micro EX1

(I think thats the cameras I have!)

S

Android has a couple of pretty good prompter apps, pretty sure you can control it over Bluetooth volume buttons which you can buy for a few dollars. For fairly cheap you could look into Rundown Creator for writing the scripts, they have a prompter mode. Price is fairly reasonable but you'd need internet everywhere, sends it out by second output on a computer. Browser based so just about anything should work.

Nice to see.

Still glad I have mine as I think pure size does help.

Also I dont know but I feel the best performances are having an operator drive the script, rewind duff takes and the likes is most professional.

Mine can show a laptop screen into a flipped monitor, so the operator has a straight view and show auto cue software or other things.. like a remote interviewer on skyp zoom teams (?)

As well as standard broadcast, we are also delivering to social media outlets now including 9:16, 4:5, 1:1.
Many times we are delivering 4 different versions of the same commercial, just in different aspect ratios.

As well as standard broadcast, we are also delivering to social media outlets now including 9:16, 4:5, 1:1.
Many times we are delivering 4 different versions of the same commercial, just in different aspect ratios.

These narrow and vertical aspect ratios kill me(I hate them as a viewer). And they finally caught-up to me, as a shooter. Went in to shoot for a client a few days ago at their place with their gear. Relatively straightforward: b-roll, scenics and follow an individual. The gear was waiting on me when I arrived. Original C300, 24-70 and 70-200. Ok. Nothing I can do about the glass. The 24-70 will be ok, or so I thought. Then the producers show up and say, "Oh yeah, besides for the archive & doc use, this is being used for social in 1:1 and is the priority." And besides not being able to make custom aspect markers on that camera, we then proceed to go outside and they say they want "wide scenic shots". And I'm shooting with a 24mm on s35... That is essentially being "center punched"...

Back